Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (64 reviews )

Better than gas
By RGB

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I owned a gasoline engine E320 Sport and was dissatisfied with the acceleration, fuel economy and ride. This diesel puts the gas model to shame. This is the best car I've owned in 40 years of driving. Averaging over 30 mpg with mainly in-town driving.

Acceleration

New style center armrest is uncomfortable

My Benz
By Allen

I am so surprised at how much I love this car and how peppy it is. You'd never know it was a diesel. It is smooth and holds the road so well. Mileage runs 35 on the road and 27-30 around town. Better than what the hybrids are projecting for Lexus and Toyota.

Responsiveness and control

Seat adjustment at entry could be better. I'm used to the seats adjusting when the car is unlocked by th remote, but the MB waits until you are in the car.

Different paradigm of diesel technology
By CM

This car is in no way similar to the diesels my dad drove; gone are the days of turning off the air conditioning to get up the hills on the freeway. The harder you push this diesel the more refined it sounds. It seems to have a deep well of power and torque that never stops pleasing. I love this car!

Exceptional build quality; unreal power and torque for a diesel; attractive body styling; The ESP system works wonderfully in the snow and ice.

Scratch the integrated computer/audio/navigation/light/etc. system. The system is too confusing and when it breaks (and it will eventually) it will be multi-system failure. Also, don't put fine upholstery in the door jams!?! Drives me crazy trying to keep those clean. Needs larger gas filler neck.

My favorite Benz
By Stefan

Leasing the car to have a safe ride for my family. I drive all current MB models on a regular basis and this is my most favorite model. The torque is neck snapping, more that of a 8 cylinder car. The vehicle is fast, safe comfortable. Ride quality is outstanding and handling is precise and firm. I got 38mpg, but you HAVE to drive 55mph constantly to achieve this. Higher speeds impact economy. Heated seats get warm and in a hurry. We had first snow and there was not a second of insecurity. Do actually like the CL55 AMG better, but there is that hefty price tag. About cupholders: It is a cultural thing, but I wonder what size cups some people use?

Economy, zippy, comfortable beyond belief. Got Navigation, Panoramic sunroof, heated seat options. This model plays MP3 CD-s in the headunit and has an AUX plug in the glove compartment so you can attach your own audio device. Controls only volume in AUX, but that is all I need.

Offer more models with this or other Diesel engines.

Even better than I had hoped
By Steve S.

We have owned a turbodiesel in the past, so we thought we knew what we were getting. We were prepared to accept the trade off of "diesel" acceleration, noise and smell for the higher mileage, durability and understated luxury looks. Even after thoroughly test driving a number of differently equipped versions, and streching for the only totally loaded vehicle we could find, we feel like we've gotten the bargain of the century. This car is quick, powerful and easy to drive. Best of all, everyone does a double-take when they find out it runs on diesel. At first the controls were difficult, but after a short learning curve they have become second nature. We are extremely pleased.

Fit, finish & look, A+ Interior comfort and styling, A+ Materials, solid A (wood & leather A+) Dynamic drive seats, A- (tiny controls) Other: A+ (Lighting package, SatRadio, NavSystem, Harmon Kardon 5 channel stereo w/dash mounted 6 CD changer, remote trunk and keyless start)

Switch SatRadio from Sirius to XM radio and provide an AWD model.