Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (64 reviews )

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
By G. Ward

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I have been very pleased with my E320 CDI in the year I have had it. My mileage has been between 33 and 35 mpg, and even higher on longer trips. The car has excellent pickup and is much better than the diesels I have owned in the past. The only problem I have had is that the clock in the dash gains a couple minutes a month and it is not exactly easy to reset. The dealer told me that this gain per month is within tolerances, but none of my clocks gained that much in the past. I have had one burned taillight in the year I've had the car, and one recall to repair the computer assisted brake system. All in all, it is an excellent car.

Excellent economy for a larger car. Excellent pick-up. Comfortable ride. Quieter than previous diesels.

Improve the clock so that it keeps more accurate time and is easier to reset.

One VERY Happy Camper
By flaman

Averaging 31 MPG or mixed highway and (limited) city driving. Quiet inside the vehicle and no diesel odors. Unbelievable response when the accelerator is pushed.

European Delivery Program. 600 miles between fill-ups.

Re-position the Cruise Control stalk away from the turn signal stalk.

I love this car!
By James

I live approx. 26 miles from work. I needed a nice luxury car with good gas mileage since my last ride was a Hummer H2. This car has it all. Good gas mileage, a perfect blend of comfort and sportiness and luxury. Safety features are top notch. I feel very safe, secure, and pampered in this car. Funny thing with this car is the faster I drive it, the better gas mileage I get. I drove it to California and averaged about 33 mpg. I usually get 28 back and forth from work. First thing I did was put on some custom chrome wheels. So far had the car for 4 months and no problems. If you do purchase this car make sure you take time at delivery to learn all the great things this car can do

Love the torque, handling, looks, gas mileage and has top notch sound from the Harmon Kardon system

Perhaps have a DVD introduction on the car instead of having to sit and read a novel of a owner's manual.

What a car!
By Rocketman

I went into the dealership wanting to drive a C class but drove the E320 CDI first and drove off with it. This is my second MB and I am impressed with the power, quietness, performance, and MPG. This is the most impressive car that I have ever driven. It will make hybrid technology extinct. You owe it to yourself to drive this car.

Engine power and MPG

The manual is huge and not easy to understand.

Nearly 3000 miles -- Awesome car!
By Bob

This car is very different than anything I have driven. New to diesels, I can't get over the launch at low revs. Taking off, you need to push the throttle gently at first to spool up the turbo and then let it go. Amazing torque! In regards to looks, feel, ride, quality, it truly does the Mercedes brand justice. A fine car with great toys and beauty throughout. So far I am delighted! In regards to MPG, I have a mixed highway city daily commute of 30 miles. I am seeing 30 MPG consistently on each leg.

Navigation and satellite radio inside. Amazing torque from the diesel with great MPG under the hood.

Armrest cup holder isn't the most comfortable arrangement. Headlight switch auto setting does not allow you to turn on the fog lights at the same time.