Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (64 reviews )

What's missing from this car? Not much.
By Sam

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Apart from having a few too many options for being an MB, this car is otherwise perfect. 369 ft/lbs torque at 1800rpm... 0-60 in 6.6 (I timed it twice).. and passing power like the best sports cars I've driven. All with 37mpg (observed by me). Built like a tank, safest sedan sold in the US (IIHS Study).. Mercedes Benz build quality and materials..

The I-6 diesel

Comand screen needs more info like clock and date, or more GPS data, like speed etc..

E320 CDI Review
By Scott

I purchased my 2005 CDI in March. It's a great car! Powerful, great mileage and range, and very quiet at cruise. I get bored with cars quickly, but can see myself driving this one for a while. I wish it had bluetooth - Mercedes needs to get busy with this option. I thought I would not appreciate the dynamic seats, but wow...they really help with support taking aggressive corners. If you are going to purchase an E-Class, this is the one to get.

Dynamic seats. Navigation is good. Stereo is adequate...I got the updgrade. Tons of trunk storage. I know the older drink holders were not so great, but the new ones in the console are actually very nice.

Like it as is

MB E320 CDI
By RBinford

We had a 2002 Mercedes C230 prior to this vehicle and it was wonderful. However, after having a child we decided that we needed a larger car. We looked at all of the different models of the E-Class and decided after driving all and talking with our sales rep that the 2005 E320 CDI was our best option. We haven't regreted it one moment.

The great fuel economy (gets at least 650 miles per tank before we have to refill).

None

Marylander
By Marlylander

Since the new CDI arrived, I had been wanting to buy one. I have been happy ever since I bought this car. It is fun to drive, and gets more than excellent gas mileage. I average 650 miles between fill-ups. Then interior is comfortable and well designed. Sound system is great also.

Gas mileage and stereo system

The in dash navigation system should dim and stay dim. The flickering display is the only improvement I would suggest.

A diesel MB charmer
By Steve Glauser

When 1) Premium gas goes north of $2.30/gal; 2) you change jobs and started commuting 50 mi/day roundtrip on one of Atlanta's most congested roads and 3) the tranny in your 2002 Lincoln LSE is replaced at 26k miles, you buy a Benz turbodiesel. The new diesel technology is going to tramp hybrid into the ground IMHO. It's not the road warrior the LS was, but it's darn close. Cabin is much better suited to the long commute - better seats, stereo, NVH isolation. Torque spoils you immediately; HP has no meaning when the car locomotive pulls you to an easy 80mph cruise with no sign of power dropoff. I try not to subscribe to society's definition of success, but I feel like I've arrived in m E320 CDI.

Torque! Capri blue metallic moves from blue to purple to black depending on the light. Overall refinement of the car from powertrain to the smooth wheel edges that aren't curb targets. The not- so-subtle diesel clack at idle. Puddle and footwell and ambient lights. Curvaceous dash panel. Panache.

What, no compass? $2.95 per call for TeleAid directions if I don't have the luxury package? Cheap HVAC and radio control rotary knobs. Dealer experience was atrocious (what ELSE did they forget to mention?) No more free maintenance in '05 (sheesh). Longevity of command control buttons on the wheel?