Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (65 reviews )

Outstanding automobile
By Four door sedan

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my third MB. It is the best auto I have ever owned or driven. My wife and all who have driven it, rate it as the best drive and ride they have experienced. Mileage is fantastic. A 1000 mi. trip, with 900 miles of turnpike driving resulted in 35.9 mpg as measured with fill to cap to start and fill to cap at finish

Roadability, mileage, power, and acceleration. Passing ability.

Incredible car
By steve

I bought this car after having driven its larger, S-class, cousin in Europe. I rented one for a week and, after a week of driving in the mountains and highways of northern Italy was amazed at how few liters of fuel went into the tank before returning it. Impressed, I bought an E-class shortly after my return. I have not been disappointed. It's performance is nothing short of phenomenal both in 0-60 terms and when passing at highway speeds. Better yet it consistently delivers 37-38mpg on trips and in the high 20's around town. Coupled with its comfort and handling, it's clearly the best car I've ever owned. My only complaint is that the HVAC controls are needlessly complex.

Fuel economy, performance, and so far, excellent mechanical reliability

Need to simplify the HVAC controls for safe and convenient driver use. Also the fuel fill needs to be enlarged to accept the larger diesel nozzles frequently encountered.

by Jim S.
By James Sandsmark

The turbo-diesel has all the response and acceleration of my previous 2000 E320. On trips, I typically get around 34mpg. If I keep the speed @ 65 or less , I have experiened 37.6 mpg over a 250 mile stretch

Seat warmers on chilly mornings. Digital option on speedometer. Driver's seat,mirrors & steering wheel are set to memory when you insert your "key" in the ignition.

Move clock to center of dash. On trip information, show: "fuel remaining" rather than "estimated range"and let me estimate range. Improve cup holders.

Surprised and delighted
By Brooks Thommes

I was a little worried about my decision with the diesel at first but over the last year of driving it have been glad I made the choice. Besides the 35 mpg the 369 lbs of torque makes it a real pleasure to drive. Many friends that have ridden with us have no idea that it is a diesel unless we mention it.

The power to pass when needed, the GPS system, being able to shift the automatic, large trunk

Location of button to unlock the car, it is on the dash. Wider fuel filler hole to get diesel at some pumps.

My first Diesel
By Mike S

This car has so many things going for it. The diesel engine so far has been amazing. I averaged 37.5 MPG on a recent trip to Florida. I drove 722 miles on one tank. I like that! That and 0-60 in 6.6 sec. in amazing to me. The car is beautiful in every way. It has a great ride. Recently I have been hearing a whistle in the vent fan. Not sure what that is. It sounds a little more noisy than when I purchased it 4 months ago. I would buy this car again. The only complaint is that Mercedes thinks they know better than we do and automatically turn the recirculate button off when it thinks it should. I press that button a hundred times a day. It's my car, let me decide!

Mileage, heated/adjustable seats, stereo, ride. Location of the CD Changer.

Fix that recirculate button to stay on for me. They put the place where you put the fuel in on the wrong side of the car! Not happy when it is raining. Key fob isn't easy to use. The keys should either be lit or colored for easy reading. Console should be softer for your elbow.