Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 177 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

A Great Ride So Far
By benz_man

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We bought our 05 CDI with 48K on it 1 year ago tomorrow so I thought this would be a good time to right a review since I came here to read a bunch before I bought it.
This car is a joy to drive and has been nothing but great for us. We downsized from an 07 Suburban because we really didn't need the room anymore and the Suburban is hard to give up if you've ever driven one.
Great mileage, pretty much 28 in town and 35-37ish highway. This car feels safe, drives great, is quiet and has been bulletproof.
I had one service issue, a door lock problem. The extended warranty covered it for 100 bucks.
Drive one and put your foot into it.
The diesel torque will put a smile on your face, I promise.

Style, this car looks like a 2012 even though its 8 years old. Torque. The diesel is amazing. I'm telling you, it will bring a smile to your face and your still getting 35 MPG. Try that in a gasoline car. Solid feel. This car is heavy and you feel like secure in it. Back seat has plenty of room for 2. Mileage, this car saves us a ton at the pump. Seat heaters heat up in seconds. Trunk space is huge. Oil filter is so easy to change. Takes 2 minutes and is right on top. I do my own oil. I did buy a pump to change oil instead of taking covers off and draining it. Filters are not expensive at the dealership. I buy Mobil 1 at the auto parts store.

Cant really think of too much to improve. I guess the Sat radio is kind of quirky sometimes. Maybe the door jams could be polished stainless or something like that because getting in and out your shows tend to mark the fabric up. The switches in the visors to turn on the light when you open the mirror are kind of cheap. I had to replace the passenger one but it was only 5 bucks at the dealership.

Merc E320 4Matic is the best
By bostonmerce320

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Initially , i use to be a big fan of Audi as i owned one , heavy weight and great dynamics i thought could not get better than Audi.

But once i sat in E320 4matic i just loved interior and bought it without second thought. It never turned down my expectations. Once i was driving in New England Storm i took exit for gas and got stuck in 3 foot snow. But i now my merc can handle it like nothing , i switched to Sport mode and press the pedal it jumped of the heavy snow like a tiger everybody around just baffled as they shoveling hard to get their car out of snow. I can drive 50 miles an hour on ramps like nothing . I drove from Pittsburgh to Boston with 31.5 MPG , Jap owners went jealous..:)

Each and Everything.

None.Aboslute master piece.

Best car I have ever owned!
By cdrhoek

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Totally trouble free.
This car has been as reliable as my Honda (no small feat!).
36MPG on the highway at 70 mph.
Quiet, passengers have no idea it is a diesel.
Performance is better than the gasoline version of the same car.
This is the last year with the straight 6 mercedes diesel, as bullet-proof a motor as Mercedes has ever made.
I would never consider buying another Mercedes that wasn't a diesel.

Bad decision from start to finish
By Victoria

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a certified pre-owned 2005 E320 from a VERY reputable Mercedes dealership in North Carolina. It was the worst decision I have ever made. I fell in love with the appearance of the car, the dynamic Italian leather seats, navigation etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't run properly. In addition to regularly scheduled maintenance, the Mercedes service department (at two separate dealerships) has had my car in for "repair" EIGHTEEN times. In two years. No joke. It has a stalling issue that Mercedes trained and qualified service technicians cannot fix. It supposedly does not generate any error codes when it does this, so Mercedes can't fix it and I'm stuck with it. BEWARE!

BEAUTIFUL interior, "dynamic seats" that pulse and move when you turn, the automatic headrests in the back, Automatic sunshade on the back window, Harmon Kardon sound system

Figure out why it stalls for no reason. I would love to drive it on a regular basis.

I love my MB 05 E320
By VA-DC Driver

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We have been completely happy with our purchase. Owned it 3 years at this point, bought it 2 yrs old with 27k miles (cert preowned buy). It now has 72k. Sold my 04 C320Wagon (that we also loved) and bought the E Dont buy a Benz if you dont want to pay the premiums for servicing. This isn't a car for those who like to change their own oil. My Ford bought new and now same miles -yes cheaper to take care of but way way less of a vehicle. Changed brakes and tires at same intervel w Ford. I was warned by non Benz owners (jealous?) about alleged electronics issues but after 3 yrs haven't had any probs.

Automatic mode for most driving, but for those windy roads it lets you get your thrills by manually shifting gears (merely tapping the shift to up or down gears). Pure luxury ride. Comfort, power, mega safety for my wife and kids. Completely recommend.

Previous Benz had a Bose stereo system- prefer that to the Harmon Kardon.