Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

My favorite Mercedes
By Cathy Weil

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Mercedes purchase, first was the C230, second the S320, and now this model. While I enjoyed ownership of all previous Mercedes models, this sedan suits me the best. It is a perfect size and style. It is comfortable, yet fun to drive. The sound system provides great listening for my opera or rock CD's.

Style. Safety. Comfort.

Add power trunk "pull down" as feature.

Pure Luxury
By Mr. Yu

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This car is awesome! The powerful V8 is silky smooth with responsive handling making this car an absolute joy to drive. The interior feels like it was well made and solid with sexy styling. When you slide into the car you immediately get the feeling of "luxury". In addition, it's packed with plenty of convenience features, too many to list. Definitely the best sedan I've ever owned!

Sexy styling inside and out. Powerful engine. Great gas mileage for a V8.

Braking system lacks "progressive" feel. Other than that, it's been perfection!

The Regal E500 Sedan
By Mercedes Masterpiece

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Wagon (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have driven 3 Mercedes, ML320, ML65, E320 4matic. The E500 is by far the best Mercedes I have ever owned. I love the luxury which the ML lacked. The reduction in wood on the doors is, in my opinion, a loss of style. The performance is okay. I will buy a Mercedes forever.

The 6 disc CD changer. The original back seat pull-down console. Heated seats. Four-zone climate control.

The seatbelt sensors do not work properly, fix them! There is not enough storage. More wood would be nice. Cheaper design packages would be great.

What's not to love???
By Ms. T W

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Class and sass! After being loyal to BMW for the last 9 consecutive years, I didn't think MBenz could change me. After seeing, then driving the "05 E500 I was in love! I cannot believe all the luxury features in this vehicle from ventillated seats and seat heaters to seats that massage your lumbar area and power bolsters in the front seats that hug you at every turn! It drives very smooth and quiet (you almost forget the tiger under the hood). For the extra dollars the V8 cost over it's sister V6 version, it has proven to be more than worth it. Besides getting the obvious boost in HP, the V8 has features that are standard on it that would be an option on the V6. I truly adore this car!

The power of the V8, all the luxury appointments in the cabin, the comfort of the ride and knowing I'm in one of the safest autos on the road.

Not really much to improve on, but as a consumer, I think MB should have made the Satellite Radio System a standard feature. The car comes prewired for SIRIUS, but it cost almost $1000 for installation! I think that is pretty steep considering the car cost over $60,000.

A diesel MB charmer
By Steve Glauser

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

When 1) Premium gas goes north of $2.30/gal; 2) you change jobs and started commuting 50 mi/day roundtrip on one of Atlanta's most congested roads and 3) the tranny in your 2002 Lincoln LSE is replaced at 26k miles, you buy a Benz turbodiesel. The new diesel technology is going to tramp hybrid into the ground IMHO. It's not the road warrior the LS was, but it's darn close. Cabin is much better suited to the long commute - better seats, stereo, NVH isolation. Torque spoils you immediately; HP has no meaning when the car locomotive pulls you to an easy 80mph cruise with no sign of power dropoff. I try not to subscribe to society's definition of success, but I feel like I've arrived in m E320 CDI.

Torque! Capri blue metallic moves from blue to purple to black depending on the light. Overall refinement of the car from powertrain to the smooth wheel edges that aren't curb targets. The not- so-subtle diesel clack at idle. Puddle and footwell and ambient lights. Curvaceous dash panel. Panache.

What, no compass? $2.95 per call for TeleAid directions if I don't have the luxury package? Cheap HVAC and radio control rotary knobs. Dealer experience was atrocious (what ELSE did they forget to mention?) No more free maintenance in '05 (sheesh). Longevity of command control buttons on the wheel?