Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Nothing but good on this one
By Kris Keeney

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have had nothing but good results with my 2004 E500. Acceleration is great. I have read some of the other entries here and feel for those who have had a different experience. Maybe it was luck, or whatever, but my E500 has been awesome. My lease is up soon and I am trying to decide what to do. I should buy this car, but am tempted to check out even more power. The acceleration is addictive. Make sure you obtain a radar detector. Such is the only reason I am not locked up.

Acceleration, high speed acceleration. Handling. With consistent care, the exterior paint and interior leather look brand new. Wheels look great and clean nicely

Some of the fake woodgrain thingies in the passenger area cover up flimsy plastic. For example, the middle console compartment handles: the wood grain outer part is atop white plastic. Should not be the case for this level of car. Front grille should not be plastic

Beautiful but Fragile
By osanchez

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned several Mercedes during my life time and I can telll you this has been my worst experience with MB. Three blown tires, broken A arms, broken subframe, bransmission issues and not to mentioned expensive parts and repair costs. This vehicle was made to be driven on air not on realistic day to day roads. I will not recommend this vehicle. Very beautiful but fragile!

Beautiful exterior and interior looks! Excellent seats and egornomics. Excellent handling.

Transmission, air suspension, and all underpart support systems including A arms, subframes, rims, cargo latches. Very fragile!

Bad air conditioning system
By kai

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The air conditioner continues giving out foul, sour, acidic smell even after 2 heater core replaced, 2 complete cleaning. The manufacturer call center confirmed it's a known issue. Transmission adapter failed once and is now leaking agin. Independent service center called it a fire hazard. Does anyone experience the same as I do with this car, please let me know. I really appreciate it.

Dynamic chair and massage on the chair

More storage bins throughout the car, the navigation DVD should be in the dash and the screen should position better.

Never Buy Another One
By jon

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4MATIC AWD 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Mercedes has lost its quality of years past. I purchased my E500 and for two years had nothing but problems with it. After 60,000 miles and $10,000 in repairs I traded it in for a Lexus.

Improve the quality of the car.

E 500
By Brian

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my 3rd E Class. I bought this car used with 21000 miles. It now has 25000 miles and the tires are completely shot. Car is too heavy for tires. I would advise everybody to not upgrade with the Continentals installed at factory. Possibly go for Michelin Pilots. Car consisently drifts to the right. Radio, GPS sometimes freezes. Sometimes engine very noisy but cannot hear inside car.Tend to hit the cruise control stalk by mistake sometimes. Car ejects gas hose aggressively when full resulting in spillage, paint damage, etc. I chose to forgive all of these flaws because of the superb transmission and tremedous power. Handling in the sport mode is awesome for a car of this size. Get the extended warranty.

Have silver on black with appearance package. Car is beautiful to stare at. Love the xenons, rims,and black maple. Stereo is superb. Handling at first seemed loose but was really surprised and impressed when it morphed itself into a sports car the first time I went hard in to a corner. Love the hood star.

Change position of cruise control stalk. Upgrade cupholders and some of the cheap plastic control knobs. Install a decent set of tires with the car. Strengthen how the car is aligned or make provisions in the warranty for continual repairs. Brakes work well but lack the feel of the older E's. Work on reliability.