Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

The "Water Buffalo" Just Keeps Going Effortlessly
By realrideracing

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We've nicknamed our E320 the "Water Buffalo" simply because it's the work horse. She is as reliable as any car I've owned (and I've owned a lot!), just gets you to your destination effortlessly and smoothly, pretty comfy ride, handles well, and is all round a good solid car.
Even in Los Angeles where everybody drives fancy cars, the valet still parks our E320 in the front. It just looks like an elegant and classy car.

Firm yet comfortable ride. Just a super reliable car! Keep up on the maintenance and you'll have no problems with this car. I'm not sure what kind of paint Mercedes uses, but this car has lived a hard life in the Southern California sun, yet continues to shine like it just came off the showroom! At 114,000 miles, our E320 feels like it'll run another 200,000 miles easily! If you're considering one, don't hesitate! Get it!

Suspension thrust bearings are regular failures on these cars. Expect to spend about $1,800 to repair them.

Mercedes should be ashamed of their internal build quality
By daiku

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First, the engine, and ride have been great, but the internal comfort features on this $60K have been terrible.

4 front cup holders replaced @$80 each
Keyless go doors dont' work and need repair and redesign
Replaced thee rear DOOR latch on the right passenger side so my daughter could get out of the vehicle $685!.

Rear sunscreen not functioning (MB are notorious for this problem, yet the still don't have a better design from Bosch).

First and Last MB.
I bought the car for my wife who always wanted one, but never again.
Toyota's are much bettter built.
As a person of German heritage, I am ashamed at this vehicle!
Embarrassment to not stand behind these problems out of warranty

Drive quality Noise level

Stop sticking it to customers for parts! Most of this stuff is MB quality issues that customers shouldn't be gouged for. 3rd parties aren't able to work on these at a competitive price, unfair! Lack of access to tools! Stop de-contenting the car to increase profits. Quality should be there on the electronics, but they aren't

Great Wagon but the Transmission.
By hamil65

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this for my wife with only 20k 4-years ago and the car has been great except the transmission.
The 722.6 transmission was problem in the older E320 and still is.
The TCU connector seal failed which Mercedes had an updated part but then in leaked later on also.
Read some forums and I'm not alone.
Even the new 722.9 Transmissions are having issues.
I have owned 4 Mercedes and all the transmissions have had issues.

Love the ride, the style and interior layout. Great room for the dogs.

TRANSMISSION!

Not worth the $$$$
By DLB19

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Generally, it is an "OK" vehicle. Having said that, "OK" is not good enough for a MB vehicle. Based on the brand and the price, I am very disappointed in both my MBs. Our E-Class had to have a part in the heater replaced, which was several hundred dollars. That repair was shortly followed by the front suspension wearing out, which cost a couple thousand dollars. All these repairs were needed prior to 80,000 miles. I wouldn't expect these type of issues from "any" high end luxury vehicle, much less a Mercedes. The seats are extremely firm, liken to sitting on a cinder block. We also own a ML, which has spent most of it's life in the garage, costing us thousands of dollars.

The ability to trade it in.

Overall quality is pathetic. We have spent approximately 15k in repairs between our two Mercedes. Hope this info is useful to someone out there. We will never own another MB.

Long rule the Sport-Lux Wagon
By MW

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Wagon (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the ultimate family vehicle and we don't look for a second at suv's or hybrid vans or whatever. Practical, sporty, smooth, clean lines, great ergo, wow wow wow. Bought all the roof bling, rack, bike rack, cargo box from Mercedes-Benz

Everything. This car is so together. The five of us jumped in the wagon and drove from Cincinnati to NYC at a spurs moment and the vehicle brought us there so refreshed. Had the in-laws visit and w/ rear fold-down seat all seven of us could ride in style to church. (Kids in back of course)

Built-in USB ports would be nice for gadgets but then I have to remind myself that I'm driving a 6-year old car. Hard to fathom!!