Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 251 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Great Car
By Touchdown Tony

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this as an expired lease vehicle with 27500 miles. Was concerned at first as Consumer Reports stated reliability problems. After 5 months and 6000 miles, I can say without reservation that I love this car. To put this comment in perspective, my last car was a 528i BMW that was always in the shop. While the BMW was nice, the Mercedes is much more refined. Feel like a grown-up driving this car versus a 50 year-old in a midlife crisis when driving the BMW. No problems what-so-ever. Fantastic mileage. Beautifully designed. However, a few quirks as loud cold starts till lifters get lubricated. Also, the Germans likely show their contempt for Americans by poor design of the cupholders.

Exterior design. Comfort items inside car. Great mileage.

Cupholders that have some useful function. Steering wheel and Headliner looks cheap for this pricepoint.

Electrical Nightmare
By Petersons

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this certified pre-owned E500 2 months ago, and it has been in the shop 4 times for electrical error messages (SRS and SOS Disabled, electrical consumers switched off message, and more). Today my car caught on fire with me and my 2 children buckled in carseats in the backseat. The entire inside of the car filled with thick white smoke and smelled of burning. The electrical system fried, caught fire,and didn't allow me to open any doors to get my kids out. I ripped them out of their seats, fire trucks put out the fire, we are safe, but a total loss. After the key was taken out the clock and speedometer were spinning, radio blaring, windshield wipers squirting, everything...scary!!

Interior is great, fun to drive, great pick up.

Electrical system! This is totally unacceptable from MB. Brakes have also had a lot of trouble.

Just for the record
By rqjwill

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car a year ago with 10K miles and have driven an additional 14K miles with a few minor issues, but overall this is a great car. This is our first Mercedes and we'd buy another without hesitation. In fact, I can't imagine owning anything else. The gas mileage is around 23mpg combined and 30 mpg highway. It's a pure pleasure to drive especially on busy city streets, where it brings a confidence and calm. Overall reliabitly is good as well. Can't wait to get an '07 or '08

Folding rear seats. Comfortable seats with 3-way adjustment. Touch shift. Good interior design.

More power.

It's OK
By Jim Pacquin

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car with 23000 miles (certified). The ride is good, and it drives well. The engine strains somewhat. A good road car.

Interior is comfortable.

The side mirrors are too small! Setting clock, instruments is much too complicated, silly and vexing. Mercedes should study the Toyota dash carefully! More horsepower, engine strains. Cup holder is beyond dumb.

Not for the faint of heart
By Rob

2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E55 AMG Rwd 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

By far the best vehicle I've ever owned. I traded in a 1999 E430 for this car, and she was certainly worth it. The acceleration of this velicle is unbelievable. My wife hates to ride with me, especially if we're merging unto the interstate (prime opportunity to to show off). I would only recommend this car to those whom a doctor has certified as healthy.

Looks, style, engine, the whole nine yards.

Better sound system. I've replaced the rear speaker twice.