Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Mercedes Benz, a complete waste of money
By Heidelberg

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

First off, I call myself "upgrading" from a 1998 Lexus GS300, but soon found out that I actually "downgraded" myself in this German problem. The air conditioner failed 2 times - one time it failed as soon as I picked the car up from being serviced. The brakes are an ongoing problem - they don't last more than 3 months and the brake dust that accumulates on my wheels (in the course of 1 day after cleaning them) is completely out of control. The fit and finish with the car is horrible: the interior door handle is peeling on both doors, bulbs constantly go out, the dashboard illumination is failing (which means no clock), etc. My advice, get a Lexus - when my lease expires, I certainly will!

The car performs very well on the highway and manevers exceptionally well when that "idiot L.A. driver" doesn't signal when changing lanes.

Mercedes-Benz needs to take a reality check and look at how poor their cars have been over the past 4 years. When I go to the dealer's service department, as a customer, I shouldn't see fairly new cars lined up 30 deep to be repaired. In short, Mercedes' legacy vehicles (before 2001) are the best.

Runs and handles as new
By Just like new

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Although I bought my E320 8 months ago, I do drive it pretty hard, and I drive it often. Even at 54k miles, the car shifts quieter than my 2004 Grand Cherokee and my wifes 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The city mpg for me is 17 city. The pick-up is fantastic while the handling is great! The interior is simple, but functional. My wife doesn't quite like the seats (she says that they are uncomfortable). The dash cluster is much friendlier than the 2003 BMW 5 series. My mother has a 525 and the steering wheel blocks the dash. I cannot see how fast I am going. Even though I move the steering wheel, the dash cluster is still blocked. I am glad I bought the E320. I favor it over the BMW.

Acceleration and handling. Comfortable ride.

Tinted windows, auto headlamps, and the dashboard features has too many unneccessary uptions.

My Batmobile
By Bummer

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It is a well engineered vehicle. The 2002 E320 has all of the improvements since 1996 without the glitches from 2003 and newer models. The brakes and throttle are soft and the suspension are made for a comfort ride. The body frame is solid and has no significant vibration until 100 mph. No major problems with my E320 so far. Unless you consider adding windshield fluid is a major problem.

ABS brakes, stability system, solid frame, interior craftmanship.

The trunk space is not big compare to other vehicles in the same class. The radio key is not senstive sometimes.

Could be Better
By H. Baker

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The looks and lines of the car with the sport package is outstanding! The engine is peppy while not a gas hog. Steering is heavy at times in turns. The turning radius is great in tight spots. The ride has been disappointing for a luxury $50k+ car. Frankly, I have driven cars costing half as much that ride better on rough surfaces. The single wiper is an issue as it never seems to clear the windsshield very well. The ventilation never seems to adjust correctly. It blows cold air in the winter and warm air in the summer.

The automatic volume adjustment to driving speed on the radio is nice. The seal adjustments on the door are nice.

The AC system. Cup holders. Wipers. The ride should be smoother and quieter.

I expected the best and I got the best!
By Moises789

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

My 2002 Mercedes-Benz E430 is an xcellent
overall sedan. It has great performance, great handling,
and has been trouble free.

Handling, performance, reliability

Although gas milleage is not terrible for its weight, I hope newer models will offer better milleage.