Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

If you like the shop
By Not for me

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Having always wanted a Mercedes. I finally poneyed up the money and purchased a used 320 with only 37K miles on it. Since then I have been on a first name basis with my service advisor as I am bringing the car back to the shop almost every other month for different problems. Here is what has broken so far. Interior visors, both left and right due to the mirror covers hinge breaking (not covered under extended warranty) Catalytic converter at 70K. Ball Joints at 78K. Windshield washer resevoir (not covered $230). Instrument lighting. Entire radio. Voltage regulator. Most of this would not have been covered if I hadn't purchased the extended warranty. Too much for me. Back to Lexus

Good looking car. Nice paint. Ergonomic.

Make a car that doesn't have so many issues. It's all the little things that break. I am extreemly careful in the driving and care of all my autos and have never owned a car with so many issues. Very expensive to maintain. Minimum $80 for oil change at local lube store, Couple of hundred at the dealer.

Great Car
By Ray Whitney

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the car for a Sunday driver, however, I like it so much I drive it daily. The only problem so far is the dash display required replacement. The ecomony is much better than expected, 30 MPG on the road at 70MPH.

The electronics and all the steering wheel controls. The appearance of the car draws attention, it is great.

Make the phone system easier to update.The driver's seat could be more comfortable.

Runs and handles as new
By Just like new

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Although I bought my E320 8 months ago, I do drive it pretty hard, and I drive it often. Even at 54k miles, the car shifts quieter than my 2004 Grand Cherokee and my wifes 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The city mpg for me is 17 city. The pick-up is fantastic while the handling is great! The interior is simple, but functional. My wife doesn't quite like the seats (she says that they are uncomfortable). The dash cluster is much friendlier than the 2003 BMW 5 series. My mother has a 525 and the steering wheel blocks the dash. I cannot see how fast I am going. Even though I move the steering wheel, the dash cluster is still blocked. I am glad I bought the E320. I favor it over the BMW.

Acceleration and handling. Comfortable ride.

Tinted windows, auto headlamps, and the dashboard features has too many unneccessary uptions.

My Batmobile
By Bummer

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

It is a well engineered vehicle. The 2002 E320 has all of the improvements since 1996 without the glitches from 2003 and newer models. The brakes and throttle are soft and the suspension are made for a comfort ride. The body frame is solid and has no significant vibration until 100 mph. No major problems with my E320 so far. Unless you consider adding windshield fluid is a major problem.

ABS brakes, stability system, solid frame, interior craftmanship.

The trunk space is not big compare to other vehicles in the same class. The radio key is not senstive sometimes.

Could be Better
By H. Baker

2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The looks and lines of the car with the sport package is outstanding! The engine is peppy while not a gas hog. Steering is heavy at times in turns. The turning radius is great in tight spots. The ride has been disappointing for a luxury $50k+ car. Frankly, I have driven cars costing half as much that ride better on rough surfaces. The single wiper is an issue as it never seems to clear the windsshield very well. The ventilation never seems to adjust correctly. It blows cold air in the winter and warm air in the summer.

The automatic volume adjustment to driving speed on the radio is nice. The seal adjustments on the door are nice.

The AC system. Cup holders. Wipers. The ride should be smoother and quieter.