Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 73 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Bad Car
By Davis

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, my first Mercedes, and while driving down the road, with the family, the front drivers side coil spring came flying out. This also caused the ball joint and the tie rod to give up the ghost. Asked Mercedes for help with the bill, 1700.00 and got a resounding NO!. Seems like this should be a recall, and or Mercedes would live up to the mechanical default without me having to hire a lawyer. Won't own another, I will but something that doesn't self destruct while I'm driving down the road.

Has plenty of power.

It's supposed to be the wolrds best engineered machine, I would beg to differ with that idea.

220000 miles and still strong
By california driver

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought my e320 with 120000 miles it was well maintained. and i took over, my first benz. it has been good to me. i do oil changes, i have changed rear window lifting devices and hand to change sliding mechanism to moon roof, and i changed valve cover gasket but the car still purrs like a tiger. its good on gas and feels like a tank and its a benz, when it reaches 400k i will buy an S Class 2006 4matic. i will drive it till it popps i would feel guilty trading it in for 3k it is worth more than that to me. Viva DeutchLand

solid ride, classy interior and exterior. reliable. carbon air filters when driving in sand storms. plays cassettes. weatherband. traction control. and has kick when you floor the gas pedal. fuel economy

lower control arm boots are expensive. light bulbs go out frequently. other wize a great auto

excellent car in every way
By Anne Alden

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

I've leased a lot of high end cars and just recently bought a used 1999 E430 with 115K miles on it. Most people say don't buy a car with high miles, but it is when purchasing a used car I have found it is more than just miles, but maintenance, records, etc. This car was well maintained and taken to the dealer for repairs, garage kept. I love this car and had it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic before purchasing. I will never buy a new car again. This car is great to drive, beautiful and sophisticated. If you buy a used car, make sure to check it out thoroughly before purchasing so you don't have any surprises because the repairs are costly. Do your due diligence.

Cruise control, interior, exterior, sophistication, elegance and smooth ride

nothing yet

Below average quality automobile
By Craig

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E430 4dr Sedan

I have owned my E320 since new--10+ years. In that period of time, I have spent an average $422 a month on routine service and an average of $534 per month on repairs. Repairs like 3 window regulators; rear differential seals (recall item); CD player went south after 5 years; leaky transmission plug replaced twice; right and left 02 sensors; vibration damper recall; airflow sensor; broken front coil spring; crankshaft sensor; entire rear tail lamp assembly. I have 120,000 miles on it. Granted a few but I don't expect repairs like from MB. I have owned a number of other autos and have not replaced anything like the things I replaced/repaired on this auto.

Beautiful car. Fantastic paint job. Drives very nice.

Need to improve overall quality tremendously.

Too expensive to maintain!!!!!
By Rich

1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

I have never written a review on a car until this one. It has been soo expensive to repair I felt I had to warn people not to buy the car. The rear windows use some sort of plastic strap to make them go up and down and they dry rot. They have broken 4 times in my ownership and it cost $600 each. Service is 300-700 every 7,000 miles. Every time you bring it in for service there is something new that will cost you another $500. The most recent issue is they said the rubber boots around my axles are cracking and they want $1,200 to fix it. That's right not that the axles are out just the BOOTS and it is going to be $1,200. I am buying a LEXUS or ACURA next.

NONE

Mercedes if you charge soo much for a car make it reliable. If you have an issue like the rear windows straps breaking all the time RECALL IT!!