Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific CLS-Class model:

So Disappointed
By C Kelly

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I fell in love with this car the minute I walked into the Mercedes showroom. I was planning on purchasing a BMW 6 series, but was persuaded by the sheer breathtaking beauty of the CLS. Worst decision of my life. The wheels have had to be repaired 6 times due to "potholes" per Mercedes. The problem is in the suspension, which cannot even handle a small bump in the road. I have had to replace the tires at 7000 miles due to "potholes" per Mercedes. Purchasing this car is like dating the prom queen, which is exhilirating in the beginning, but soon you realize she will only drain your pocketbook. Do not buy this car.

The body style of this vehicle is sheer beauty.

Mercedes needs to review the suspension of this vehicle. It is a money pit!

3 and a half years later
By joesander

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this car just after the announcement of the new CLS series and the day it hit the showroom floor. I had my heart set on a BMW 600 series and switched at the last minute. It was love at first sight. Now the lease is expiring and I have to decide what to do. After lots of research I have concluded there is no better car in the market than the one I have in my driveway right now. I would love to trade for something new but for now I am sticking with my still showroom new looking CLS500.

Appearance, ride and handling.

The plastic chrome on the cupholders and steering wheel MB emblem. They have both peeled and been replaced under warranty multiple times. For a car in this price range... Unacceptable!

Very satisfied
By nmotb

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am just weeks ahead of my 2nd year of ownership and this has been a great car, and I have not had any troubles with it that required a dealer visit. It's my first Mercedes Benz and I am impressed with how solid the car feels, it feels as though it will feel new and perfect for a long time.

I bought it because I was overwhelmed by the over-the-top styling and its impact, along with the very sumptuous interior and I take delight in the luxury of the interior every time I get in it.

I would like to see some slight change to the front end styling, I liked Mercedes more rounded headlight styling than the blown back tear-drop look it favors now.

Beauty is only skin deep. Prototype woes
By JP

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Very disappointed with quality and road reliability. Has me seriously questioning ever owning a Mercedes again. True, looks and sumptuous cabin turn heads. Very comfortable on long cruises, even in back seat. Exceptional responsiveness. A blast to drive, but many miles have been logged going back 20+ times for maintenance, electronics, accessories, suspension and wheel repair in 36 months. Ball joints should outlast 70000 miles. Brake pad sensors disconnected to keep static off the radio when braking. Dry and wet road handling is fabulous, but just a dusting of snow incapacitates it. Simple items like cup holders failed and finishes are peeling. Sadly, like the Mona Lisa with big red zit.

Incredible integration of eye-catching looks, handling, acceleration and cabin comfort exceed expectations. The car responds like its an extension of your thoughts. The exterior styling is nothing short of breathtaking and always elicits street comments. Interior lighting creates warm atmosphere.

With so many squirrely glitches in sensors and electronics, it's hard tell what's real and what's just another bad circuit. Suspension has zero durability and can't handle even small highway bumps or holes. Though driving it elicits excitement, much of it is wasted worrying what will fail next.

Stylish Sedan
By alegrats

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Have owned the CLS500 for almost 3 years and has been everything i have expected - great sedan for family of 4 with school aged kids - a lot of head turning looks with this car - just enough truck space for active family - only complaint is the challenges in accessing a drive up ATM through the smallish side window - every facet of this car speaks quality

Exterior Styling, interior wood appointments

Cup holder design could be improved with better quality materials -