Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Mercedes or Ford Topaz
By CLK AMG 55 Owner

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I did not like the body style from the start, but I bought one anyway, fully loaded with everything possible. I paid $97,484 for this car. The dealership went through all the details how to operate the radio etc., but it was very confusing and illogical how to use all the features, I drove this car very little, it was slow for a supposed fast car. I put 130 miles on it and the speedomer stuck on 20MP. Took it back to the dealer, they had to put in a whole new assembly. Did not like this car. It is way overpriced and not easy to see out of or drive. I sold it back to dealer for 65,000 taking a 30,000 loss, better than 50K loss this car is not worth more than 30k.

The best feature is the $4000.00 add on item: distronic cruise control. It will keep your speed, but will slow you down so you will not rear end the car in front of you when on cruise.

Way over priced. I traded in a Lexus SC430, to get this car, what I big mistake on my part. Lexus is way better than this Ford like vehicle.

CLK320- a sporty luxury car
By ajb723

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my CLK320 coupe for 2 months, replacing a BMW330i. I was hesitant to make the change, but I'm glad I did. The 320 is much better looking, both inside and out, and the navigation system is a bonus. It is fun, easy to use, and frightening in its accuracy. Acceleration seems not up to the BMW, but is more than adequate for my needs.

Looks, comfort, navigation

The climate control is not intuitive, and controls are cheap plastic. Cup holder is too far from driver. Tip-tronic transmission (manual option) is gimmicky and not really useful.

Great fun, and solid
By sark

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The car is really a gem and fun to drive. I have been a bit dissapointed by the little things that went wrong. The seat belt assist mechanism, the cheap center console and an alarm that had a mind of its own until the dealer fixed it. I paid sticker so I guess I expected closer to perfect. However, top down with the wife and kids is a blast and it's my favorite car in the sector.

Engine, exterior detailing.

Interior neds to be more refined with more attention to detail.....maybe a hardtop convertible in a year or two would be awesome!

Love It
By Walter Silverstein

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The car looks and runs great. It is a pleasure to drive. This is my 16th Benz, and they are still great. I also have a BMW 745IL, but enjoy the Benz much more.

Just as in real estate, the measure is location, location, location. In this case the measure is Benz convertible, Benz converible, Benz convertible

Get rid of the dopey seat belt extender and add automatic side view mirror retactors. Add about a foot in length so that you can actually carry rear seat adult passengers.

Trouble in Paradise
By MsTC

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car is beautiful and a pleasure to drive. It is nimble and responsive. Unfortunately, little and big problems have occured. The battery died when the car wasn't driven for ten days. The transmission failed without warning on the highway 100 miles from home. The Teleaid system couldn't pinpont our location. The car took a week to repair and I wasn't given a loaner. Later, the trunk wouldn't open without use of the valet key. The computer keeps losing the seat memory.

The acceleration, and responsiveness are a true joy. Two small children or one dog or one thin short adult can actually fit in the back seat comfortably. Sound is great even with the top down, and it comes down quickly! Gas mileage is very good (26 HWY)and not bad city (19-23).

Two real cup holders would be nice. Simplify some of the useless and redundant gadgetry and lose the cheap plastic trim. Aim for reliabilty. The car should not be breaking down so often so soon.