Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:

Better than a Bentley at half the price
By CaliforniaCL550

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The ultimate luxury car. Seriously, go test drive a Bentley Continental GT then take a ride in this! The fit is superb, the computer system is intuitive, the interior mood lighting at night feels like a sexy club, and the exterior (with AMG package - a must!) is the classiest thing on the road without screaming "look at me!" Unless you're looking for a compact nimble sports car feel, you won't be disappointed.

Technology is fantastic, voice control works great, massage seats feel like you're getting a manny/petty , seat gripping function on curves wows your passengers, active body control is amazing. Find the rare Designo black & light cream contrasting interior with black piano trim- smoking hot!

If I'm being really critical- rear view camera quality is mediocre, doors are big and don't stay in place when opening on a slope, night vision has a 1/2 second delay creating a slight visual distraction, ride is SO smooth and silent you could unexpectedly fall asleep.

CL550 Stealth mode Luxury & Performance
By English Euro

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my CL550 in like-new condition with 10k miles on it. This is a superb car. It is fun to drive, classy looking, loaded with high tech gadgets but not hard to use. Not obnoxious like driving a Bentley; most people don't know what the CL is which is a good thing. Nightvision is cool but weird to have a TV-like display on the dash while driving. Keyless go is neat, but takes a little getting used to. Car handles and accelerates very well. I have a 2005 911S which I may sell, as the CL seems an adequate replacement. I also have a 2004 S500 4matic which I may keep as my winter car. The phone integration with my Blackberry is excellent.

Massaging seats are comfortable! Plus the drive-dynamic seats that hug you when cornering. So far, my first 1000 miles, I like this car a lot.

A dedicated button to raise & lower the rear window shade, though I am using the spare/programmable button to do this.

Dangerous car
By Lewis L

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL600 2dr Coupe (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I own a CL600 and recently had a total brake failure. I hit a wall doing about 60mph. No airbag deployment, presafe brake failed, and no warning about the brakes. Mercedes lawyered up and refuses to deal with this. I've had lots of other little problems, but am shocked at how they treat customers buying a flagship model.

overpriced coupe
By mercedes fanatic

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The CL550 is not a bad car. But it is vastly overpriced. In reality, it is nothing more than a short wheelbase S Class (sold in Europe), with a different body (which look just like the diminutive C Class) The rear seats are a joke as they are hard to access and fit small children only. I later traded up to a 2009 S550 for the added comfort, practicality and ride quality. I found out quickly how much these things depreciate. WOW. 40% in one year. That the CL costs more than the S class is unrealistic. The sedan is actually worth more than the coupe; I've owned both.

technology, COMAND, fit and finish

Take $30k off the price

Bought it and returned it in 2 days
By Steve

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Traded 2001 Porsche 911 Carerra4 convertible in on this.1st mistake was to buy this car,as my past cars,w/o really testing it,even though the dealer offered to let me drive it over the weekend. Mistake 2 was thinking that since Chrysler & Mercedes have now divorced, there would be no longer any residual parts from one division to the other...wrong.Basically it is the quality of the Crossfire. Plastic cheap parts,great engine,shoddy body part fit & overall...basically a glorified Chrysler. I guess if I wanted a Chrysler..I would have bought one. I am in no way trying to bash this car,& feel owning a Mercedes, BMW & Ferrari's in the past,I know cars.Ended up buying a BMW 650i,and love it.

steering control, transmission,look

Don't put on Dodge parts on a 80,000 car. I expected better from Mercedes??