Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:

A Lifetime Dream Car
By ardeevin

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned many dream cars including a Ferrari, muscle cars like the SVT Mustang, classic muscle cars like the 1970 442 Olds W-30, beautiful cars like the mid-60s Corvette coupes and I can say without hesitation that the 2005 CL 55 AMG surpasses all of them in every category and I will not likely ever part with my car. I have owned it for 7 years now, my extended warranty ran out last September and I am still loving the car as much or more as the day I bought it. It is still a major head-turner every time I take it out which indicates to me that the design of the car is timeless so could be considered as "automotive art" on top of all the other benefits. Treat yourself and get one.

Power...Luxury...Perfection
By Tom C

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL65 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned my CL65 for almost two years and put almost 28K miles on it during this time. What an amazing car. It is literally a perfect combination of luxury and performance. The interior is still very pleasing to the eye and touch with high quality materials and fit. I still love the elegant and classic lines of the exterior. The torque is just unbelievable. The chassis does have a hard time corralling all that power...but you learn to be judicious with when/where you prod the throttle. I have previously owned an E39 M5 and Audi RS6, and I can't imagine getting rid of the CL65. There just isn't anything out there that compares (new CL65s weigh 200+lbs more with same power).

Massive torque, extended Nappa leather interior, alcantara headliner, classic interior and exterior styling, OEM wheels, great highway gas mileage when cruising (25+MPG).

Wider rear tires to help put massive torque to the ground, stock exhaust a little muted (I fixed that).

Everyone needs this car
By james

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This car is beautiful to look at and even more awesome to drive. It seats four adults technically, although the backseat can be a tad small. Navigation system is easy to use - not complicated at all as others have rated. It is a gas guzzler, however it is worth the extra premium gas price because the ride is awesome. I love it.I love the horsepower.I love the smell of the car, once again .This car is beautiful to look at and even more awesome to drive. Mercedes-Benz, thanks for all the hard work

The sound that the engine makes

Need more bass for the sound system

Superb car
By Tom

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Comfortable, responsive, and very fast. Interior and exterior are beautiful. Fuel consumption is average for a car with this power. Back seat access could be better. Fun to drive

Electronic shifter on the steering wheel. One touch and you're gone. Best laid out interior of any car I have owned.

Front seats should go forward more to improve access to rear seats. Voltage regulator goes bad without warning. Resale value drops quickly

The Flagship Coupe
By Chris Thomsen

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL65 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

The CL65 is the flagship coupe of the CL class from Mercedes Benz. The 6.0 litre V-12 Bi-Turbo engine produces and astonishing 604 hp and 738 ft-lbs of torque. The coupe accelerates from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, making it a true 'beast' in the automotive industry. While the top speed had been electronically-limited to 155 mph, the car would be able to achieve about 200. If you take your head out from under the hood and step back you will find an array of extra modifications. These include an AMG aero-kit which include front and rear bumpers and side skirts. Mercedes was kind enough to add one of the nicest interiors that I have ever seem into this car. A race car and an everday driver, amazing.

I love the practical options which include a power trunk, DVD based navigation system, an amazing sound system which is capable of accomadating 7 cd's, the three postion hydraulic suspension, and the very adjustable seats. The performance in this car is unreal. Meanwhile the cabin remains silent.

My only suggestions for improvements are to re-program the car's computer so that the 155mph top-speed governer is removed and to increase fuel economy: which is unpractical, but would be nice because this car eats gas. I find myself filling this car almost every other day.