Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 280 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Love this car.
By nancy sayer

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Fun to drive. Definnitely turns heads. Comfy and lots of storage with the hatchback style.

2003 C240
By John Miller

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

RUN RUN RUN
By ILM2011

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my 2003 C320 for about a 1 1/2 yrs and it was the worst purchase of my life. I bought the vehicle with 119k miles so I knew it would need some TLC but I never thought it would need as much as it has. 2 weeks after purchasing the alternator light came on. I have that replaced for about $400. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty and they covered half of the cost. I live in Indiana where the winters can be VERY cold and snowy. Rear wheel drive in the winter IS NOT FUN. During the summer it drove great but as soon as the temps reached below 50 the car started having issues starting. I would go out in the morning to start it and nothing. completely dead. I thought maybe it needed a new battery. So I spent $167 on a new battery. STILL HAD ISSUES. I am a single mother so I do not have time nor do I have the money to get this fixed. This car has made me late to work with it's starting issues multiple times. Thank God I will be trading this vehicle in soon. I also had other issues fixed that cost me around $900. This might be a flashy car, BUT NOT RELIABLE. I am done paying for premium gas and $60 oil changes. If you have to extra cash to throw around on this car to fix its issues everyone other week, then buy one! But I have had nothing but problems. The passenger seat also decided to stop working. There is just too much electric powered everything and the battery can not keep up or it is just made poorly. I will now be sticking with American made cars for the rest of my life. Thanks Mercedes-Benz for making a crap car and making me spend over $1000 just to get to point A to point B.

Worst Car Ever
By John

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 Rwd 4dr Sport Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I am 63 years old. I've driven hundreds of cars and worked as a race car engineer, and also worked at dealerships and never, never in all that time have I come across a car with so many design faults and poor quality components. The many forums tell the story. Bottom line is that Mercedes tried to reinvent the wheel at every phase of the design in general, but especially with the electrics. The SAM system is a joke. The seat adjusting components, another joke. In fact any of the electrical systems not associated with the engine (except the stupid oil level sensor instead of dipstick!) are a joke. I would love to meet the chief electronics design engineer of these vehicles.
Update: They get worse with age, Mercedes should be forced to buy them all back. (Rear view mirror fell to pieces, dash display disappeared, speedo and RPM gauges showed 6000 rpm and 120 mph while sitting in traffic, high beam stopped working, window washer stopped working, turn signals do not stay on, hazard signal stopped working etc. etc!)

C230 Bag for not much Buck
By kompressorking

2003 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Rwd 2dr Sports Coupe (1.8L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Recently bought my C230 Kompressor w/ manual 6 speed tranny. So far so good. It's just over 100,000 miles, 1 owner and care for... it shows. Also purchased and very extensive 5yr/100k extended warranty too. I've owned 72 cars (all different makes/models) and have been a BMW fan for ever. This is my 3rd Benz and its a pleasure to drive. 30+ mpg on the freeway @ 85+mph, shifts smooth and has decent power to climb freeway hills with ease, even in 6th gear. Traded in my Jaguar S-type for this and I have no regrets. I will say the Jaguar was a better looking car, but that's it. I'll update more as I add more miles...

6 speed manual, supercharger, 1/2 power - 1/2 manual from seats. Metal interior accents (none of that boring wood stuff), factory 17" rims, pretty kick-a$$ factory stereo system...

Front cup holders are worthless, "auto-on" headlights don't activate with the fog/driving lights which means if you like using the fogs, you CAN'T use the auto on, really??? The Kompressor engine is a little noisy but seems to be the norm with different years I've observed/heard, The bright RED paint wasn't my favorite choice, but its growing on my. Besides, small price to pay for a manual 6 speed Benz...