Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 318 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Most Unreliable Care I Ever Owned
By Jim

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car with 12,000 miles. Always wanted to stall at stop signs. Took 2 years for them to find out what was wrong. Replaced fuel pumps on good will since warranty expired. New pumps whined and they would not replace them again. Coil spring broke, power steering pump went bad. Crankshaft position sensor bad. Rust bucket - car started rusting after two years. Front end noise. Traded it in cause I was tired of all the problems. Rode great but very expensive to own. Poor mechanical quality. Worst car I ever owned.

Power band and smooth transmission.

Fix the fuel pump issues - stand behind your product. Fuel pumps only changed on goodwill cause you couldn't fix it on warranty. Should have replaced them again after you installed bad pumps (whining like a siren). I guess you learned a lot from Chrysler.

The Nicest Terrible Car I Ever Owned
By INVNTDTHWHL

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this Benz used in 2006 and it was in really good condition and low miles. Ever since then it has slowly fallen apart. Mechanically it is decent other than the expensive maintenance but the fit and finish of the car is sub par. Everything form the trim to the cup holders to the seats have broken at one time or another. This is the bottom of the MB line-up and it shows. They really just cranked these out and spit them at the consumers without quality control. Makes me never want to buy a MB or any German car for that matter again. What a shame.

Decent leather interior. Stong engine.

Higher quality finishes. Smoother shifting tranny.

Good First Timer Benz
By Jesse

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my vehicle a four years ago from the authorized dealer. At the time, it was an authorized pre-owned vehicle with only 42K miles. The first year, I had no problems, but the following year, I had to replace two door handles. They literally broke off. I continue to deal with computer program glitches on an annual basis which the dealer has suggested I obtain an updated software from Germany. I have also had to replace the engine mounts shocks only after 80K miles! Mercedes were once known for their durability and QUALITY ABOVE ALL. It seems like too much plastic for a Mercedes. However, it is a fun vehicle to drive, turns on a dime and great first time Benz.

Runs good and nimble for a small vehicle.

Go easy plastic, this isn't a Honda or Toyota for goodness sakes.

great car
By fun car

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

i bought the car a year ago i put close to 3 thousand miles an not a problem an the car still runs great

i gt a C230 at 192hp it will light the tires up with no problem i am on my second set of tires

more options for upgrades

So far, so good
By devbert

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I bought this car as a graduation present for myself in 2003. It was two years old with 25,000 miles. The only real problem I've had is a noisy power steering pump. It quieted down once I had the fluid replaced. I've driven it 88,000 miles over five years and have not had any repairs (although I've had the power steering pump checked for the noise. More fluid fixed the problem). So far this has been the most trouble- free car I've owned. Of course, the $90 oil changes are annoying, but they are only required once a year. The routine brake jobs (avg. cost $1,000 every 60,000 miles at a non-MB mechanic) are also excessive. But, that's what I get for driving a MB. It's been a good car!

Sporty car with plenty of performance. The Trans Am I had at 18 was nothing by comparison. The best thing is the gas mileage. On numerous occasions, I've gotten 32 mpg on long trips going 80 mph. Now that the car is getting older, it still gets 30 to 31 mpg. It handles well and is fun to drive.

The front half of the car looks great. The rear view looks pretty good. But the back quarter panels look bad. The rear wheel wells are too small and there is no noticeable rear fender flare. Widen the rear fenders (like a Porsche 911) and make the wheel wells big enough for over-sized wheels.