Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Dont let the star fool you!
By mikegh323

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car is very overrated, and not reliable. Exterior paint is substanderd for MB product. I find that the paint chips easily and faded prematurly. The engine is very noisy and unrefined. The supercharger needs more psi boost. The climate control system is confusing and doent work well after a few years. The rims are undersized and the lug nuts rusted after a year. The electrical system seems below realiablity for a MB. Maintenance is overly expensive. Most repairs occure after the warenty and are usually in the thousands. Resale value is very low. 12k as of today. A lot of buyers remorse on this purchase!

I like the styling in the front end and the sunroof. Bose sound system works well.

Engine needs a lot of refinement. Transmission does not work well with the engine, a lot of lag in the supercharger which shouldn't be due to the fact it is a supercharger. Overall poor performance and very expensive to maintain. Why do you think they stopped making it?

Best made and Handling compact?Hot!
By Rachelle Hanson

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned many high end cars and when the gas prices went nuts and I moved away from the beach I needed a car that satisfied my high end needs and quality was #1. This little car was not my choice, but I fell in love with it . It has 40/60 fold down rear seats so you can bring your ski's and haul larger items and it is a kick to drive. Parking is easy. And I rarely have to stop for fuel! Gotta love it ! The side doors cubbies stink as far as use goes and there are some wicked blind spots, but once you are aware, use extra caution. I put a ton of miles on it and the stereo is great. Sunroof opens to a huge ray of light with more safety than a convertible. What's not to love?

Supercharged, huge sunroof. Handles like a more expensive model. Great on gas!

The door cubbies stink and there are huge blind spots

Could be a better car
By Steve

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I really enjoy the ride and drive of my C240. I enjoy the looks and the feel of it. I have pride to own a car successful people own. I do not enjoy constantly going to the shop for very expensive repairs (three different ones in the past two months not counting others). This is not a reliable car. I keep thinking nothing else can go wrong. So many things are going wrong. I don't trust Mercedes anymore. Many times they have to always order parts from Germany. What an inconvenience!

Highway driving, handling, solid build, low noise

Poor reliability. Excessively expensive repairs and long wait for parts.

Excellent Car!
By Todd

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This is the first Mercedes I have been purchased. After having it almost a year, I have to say that the car is fantastic! I have had no problems at all as the odometer approaches 37,000 miles. It's a great car for anyone who wants a Benz but doesn't want to go broke paying for it.

Panoramic sunroof, in-dash computer

iPod input. I like the fact that the cup holder folds away out of sight, but it's a little tricky to use, especially when you're in a hurry.

Bang for the buck plus 3-star MB badge
By dc202nw

2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sports Coupe 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Before I bought my C230 Kompressor, I looked at other entry luxury vehicles. I found this car was the best entry level luxury vehicle at it's price point. I would honestly rate the C230 Kompressor with high marks even if it didn't have the MB markings on the car. I didn't want to drop a mini-fortune (for me) on a CLK or E-series. So, I bought the C class and I have been very happy. I initally thought this would be the first and last Mercedes Benz I would purchase, but now I'm considering a CLK or E class for my future car. I've fallen in love with Mercedes. It's an entry level MB, but it has many more bells and whistles than others cars in it's price range.

Great handling. High quality Bose stereo with 6 disc CD changer. I recommend the leather seats, panoramic sunroof, and power seat adjustment. There's a lot of cargo room with seats folded up or down. Automatic lights, rain sensors for windshiled wipers.

None that I can think of.