Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Form over Function
By Matt in Maryland

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used from a dealership and quickly realized that I would encounter numerous issues with it. It looks great inside and out but it stops there.I have had so many repairs from the dealer they know which loaner car I like best and I have developed a friendship with one of the CSR's at the dealer. At one point they have my car for over 4 weeks trying to determine an issue and even brought Mb Germany into the mix. I didn't expect a MB to have so many issues...broken climate control unit,steering column,cd player,digital dash display and more.The paint chips and has faded in numerous places and the door seals have dry-rotted making for a very loud ride on the road.Poor form MB!

exterior styling, window shades, sound system (if CD player worked)

anything electrical, paint quality, all working parts need to be improved upon.

This Car Is So Awsome
By Chris

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 2 years, ( The Lorinser) and this car has never given me any problems so far. It cruise's so "Great" It's a Great Ride Every Time you Get In It. When you put your foot on the peddle,It Has a Awesome Holdshot, Takes off like a plane. Cannot hear the engine very quiet, the Cd changer for (6) The sound is so nice to hear w/Bose speakers, No Mechanical, Engine, Navigation problems, No Leaks, Paint looks Great I added the AMG Package, Crome Wheels,and Grill. This Car looks and I believe If you take car of your car. It will last for a very long time. If you Keep the car checked and up to date you will not have any problems. This car I rate it at a 10X's 10.MB is the best

The amg package, crome wheels, the grill with the emblem. The sound of the music that comes out from those Bose speakers, the navigation, air condition and heater is also great. The comfort of the seats and ride. This is the perfect car! Go Mercedes Benz mbusa

None that I can think of for my car this car is the best car out there. I have never had any problems with my Mercedes Benz. I guess who is having problems might not be taking care of there car. Because I also have friends that have a Mercedes Benz and they have not had any problems with cars either.

With the good, comes the bad
By str1972

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my C240 used thinking Mercedes had a good reputation for cars that would last. Found out the hard way, maybe it used to be like that, but not these days. It was a comfortable car, good build quality, good materials, but too many problems. In the yr that I had it: $350 for the CD changer, $300 for the auto climate control control unit, $350 for a MAS air flow unit, $60 for a new MAP sensor, $850 for a windshield for the auto intermittent wipers, $200 for a lower strut, $100 for sway bar end links, $1400 for new struts, $700 for rotors and pads. Paint chips easily, rear package tray fades, dash display fades out in the summer heat. I got rid of it before something else happened.

Smooth quiet ride, good power.

Better reliability.

Stay away
By Mercedes no more

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C320 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I always wanted a Mercedes and purchased a C320 2 yrs ago. It has been at the MB dealer 4 times. I have had the starter sensor replaced, alternator replaced and codes reset many times. I live 75 miles from the dealer and it costs $225 each time it has to be towed. Now I am looking at a $2700 transmission repair due to transmission fluid leaking on computer componants inside the transmission. Too bad since the car is a eye catcher, super fast and receives many compliments. I will be trading it in on a Toyota/Honda/Nissan as soon as I get it back on the road.

Fast engine, drives like a dream, safety features

Find a way to eliminate the electronic gremlins that plague this car

Over-engineered cars are not reliable
By Mike

2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 4dr Sedan (2.6L 6cyl 6M)

The 2001 C240 is a solid ride. Looks good,is safe,but not dependable! I am at the delearship every other month. Everyone there knows me by name. Where do I begin? Locking problems with the keys, then locking problems with the cpu. The leather de-laminated from both doors. fuel pump had to be replaced at 42000 miles. rear brake lights not working,defective SAM card. Front directional not working, defective SAM card. finally car will not start when engine is warm, the timing chain-cam sensor is defective! Most repairs were not under warranty, and averaged 800 dollars per event.

Paint quality excellent. Safety excellent. Ergonomics are good.

Speedometeter, tach is hokey looking. It should be round and more sporty. The stock 16 inch rims should be 17 inch.