Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great purr
By Octave

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

What a great purr that 4 cylinder has. Sounds like a little tiger who will soon growl on the highway, which it does! Good kick, great handling, interior is just classy enough without overdoing it. I drive it to work every morning and it brings a smile to my face, which is good for my employees ;) I've had it for a year now and I enjoy every minute of it. It has been reliable, except for the wiper motor that suddenly died on me. MB said it was due to ice being stuck...funny enough I park my car in the garage. A fun car to have for zipping in traffic or passing on the highway. I recommend the purchase.

Sound of the motor. Although car critics think it's annoying, I enjoy hearing it every time I start the car or push it on the highway. Simplicity of the interior, yet with a touch of class. Definitely a classy European. The Kompressor's ability to kick when you need it

The paint seems cheaper than previous MB models. Poor stereo (no CD!) had to put in a sub in the trunk for a "serious" sound. Get rid of the hubcap and put mags for a classier look

Der Kompressor
By Jerry

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

My sport model C230 has been a joy to own and drive. I especially appreciate the availability of torque across the rpm range provided by the supercharger. Road handling in the mountains is up there with the BMW's and it tracks like it's on a rail on the freeway. Irregardless of the poor reliability ratings MB has racked up in the auto reviews, this one has performed with almost zero problems after a couple of new car warranty fixes. Paint, trim, interior have all weathered the last six years beautifully. My only complaint was the low mileage on the first set of tires. After switching to Michelins, tire has been good. I get around 25 mpg in town and over 30 freeway driving.

Low-end torque from the supercharger. Handling on mountain roads and straight- line tracking. Comfortable driver accomodations. No signs of wear and tear after six years. Solid feel.

The auto transmission clunks from D to 4th to 3rd. Adds character, but not characteristic of a MB. Needs a better standard sound system.

Buy the BMW or Lexus
By LLT

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Overall, it's a fun car to drive, but quality is poor. It's had much lower quality than any other car I've owned (Pontiac, Jeep, Buick, Datsun) and maintenance costs are significantly more.

Supercharged engine; safety features

Benchmark Lexus customer service. Fix the quality problems (sunroof, interior pieces, Continental tires, all the stuff the dealer says is wrong during regular maintenance, etc.)

My Loyal Companion
By raymo

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

I've had BMWs, Audis, an Alpha Romeo, and a Maserati. Each one's strenght was overshadowed by its' reliability weaknesses. My 230 is a joy to drive. It's very responsive yet gets great gas mileage. It has been a low maintenance, strong and reliable car. I'm afraid to get rid of it.

Responsive power, brakes and handling

The single windshield wiper seems to be overworking even in light rain.

C280 Still at the head of it's Class
By Steve

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

From day 1, this car has been fun to drive, is great on long trips, and it's fuel efficiency is surprising. Ample back seat room and good traction continually remind me that purchasing this vehicle was a smart move!

Great acceleration, excellent ABS braking system, smooth ride, BOSE sound system is well done.

The factory radio/tape deck/telephone keypad is laughable. Replaced it almost immediately.