Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

C230 Kompressor
By C230 Kompressor

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 4dr Sedan

Bought used 4 years old. Great performance wise, no doubt. Within 2nd year of ownership, had to replace wiper, AC, rotors. Sometimes windows don't work. Dash lights go on. In 3rd year of ownership, rust on both sides of door, under wheel well. This is a garaged car. My 13 year old Corolla had no rust at all! Very disappointed, especially for a Benz. The body integrity is poor on the car I own. I am looking forward to getting rid of it.

Drives well. Hugs the road on curves and high speed.

Figure out how to deliver real body quality and integrity

Saved My Life
By m2e2r2

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Distracted and going 70 on a 2-lane road, the front tire hit the gravel shoulder. I was spun around across the road and into the ditch on the other side. I could feel the car working to stabilize itself and my thought at the time was thank goodness I'm in this vehicle. I should not be here today. Despite the severity of the spinout, the car survived without any problem. I was amazed. I got back up on the road (slowly), got to my Interstate onramp, slowly accelerated up to 65 and went on my way! Had it checked at my destination and there was absolutely nothing wrong. Amazing.

Stability under pressure

Cup holder!

Great car, exceptional engine.
By David

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and I have had no problems. The best feature about this car is the powerful V6. It makes passing on 2 lane roads quick and easy. The outstanding suspension smooths out potholes yet is taut enough to tear through mountain passes. The interior is businesslike and neat. The seats are comfortable enough to travel for around 2 hours, but cross country trips are quite uncomfortable. The controls are well placed, but the radio is hard to use when moving. The trunk is big enough for luggage for 4, and the back seat holds 2 adults comfortably. The only problem with the car is, with the big engine, it has a tendency to understeer, but this can be fixed by power induced oversteer.

The looks, the torquey motor, the outstanding sound system, and the soft leathers. The fuel economy is one of the best things (25 mpg)

Mercedes should've not put the 132 mph governor, and made it possible to completely disable the stability control. Also, more supportive seats would be great.

Is there anything bad?
By MBRob

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

I received my first Mercedes upon turning 16. It was a hand-me-down 190E with 197k,but I was hooked on Benz from then on.Before starting college, my parents surprised me with a 99' C280.It had just over 70k so it was just getting started. After having for almost 2 years,and 50k miles I still love it. Mercedes has outdone themselves. The horsepower seemed a little small until you drive the car. It is fast! It really seems to have everything a car could need! Besides a couple small quirks, broken cupholder(surprise) and failed wiper motor, I have had no problems.Services are a little pricey, but people who complain about that had to have known that beforehand. Good gas mileage too. Way to go MB!

Heated seats. Gas mileage. Classic Mercedes style (no round headlights). Surpisingly fast. The only Mercedes features (seat controls on the door, window switches on the console, one windshield wiper)

The Flexible Service System is convienent but way oo hardto reset if you choose to not use Mercedes for service. The cupholder stinks. The seats could use lumbar and memory. Xenon lights.

Had to downsize
By keoki

1999 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4dr Sedan

Previously owned an "S" class and had to downsize. The feel is still MB! Solid as a rock and good handling to boot. I can't figure out why anyone would buy a vehicle that "looks" like a Benz, when you can actually own one without breaking the bank. I purchased this vehicle used but in mint condition. I had the finish "clay- barred" by a local detail shop and the finish looks like a mirror. If you are not a 'lead foot' (easy to do) you will get 30mpg. When you drive this vehicle hard, it acts like it really wants to rock hard! This is a keeper.

Solid MB feel. Great accelleration! She wants to go hard! BOSE audio is excellent! The vehicles are bulletproof!

Brake dust on front wheels. (Had to install 'kleen wheels') The service aspect of MB can be very expensive however, it has been my experience with the two MB that I have owned.