Used 1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 350-Class model:

A Life Long Friend!
By Doc

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Having owned & driven several Mercedes (mainly Diesel), I must say that this one (1991 350SDL) is among the greatest, if not the best version, in my opinion. One thing I must state first off, is that I am a retired Long Haul Trucker, and have been most of my life. Having said that, it should be obvious that I would tend to gravitate to a QUALITY Diesel equipped vehicle, as the engine itself is one that is, by it's nature & design requirements, built to extreme durability standards. Other manufacturers have attempted to "go diesel" and have failed miserably. Mercedes has been in the diesel engine building program for themselves almost since the diesel engine was invented. Because a quality built diesel engine is built so strong, they typically run 500,000 miles, or more, before needing any great investment in a re-build, etc. Even then, most Truckers will do what is known as a "top end kit" to refresh the cylinder liners & pistons at 500k miles & "Keep on Truckin'. There have been statements presented (here & on other "info sources") that THIS engine is "prone to connecting rod and/or cylinder head issues/failures". THIS IS AN INCORRECT STATEMENT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS - At the same time that the 350 diesel engine was introduced (to replace/upgrade from the 300 diesel engine), the U.S. changed their diesel fuel "structure" so that it produced a vastly different fuel than had been historically been available. This was done to appease the EPA & the environmental community. This change was NOT publicly "advertised", so no one knew what changes it would make to ANY diesel engine. This resulted in damaging MANY diesel engines across the board here in the U.S., and subsequently the EPA had to actually formulate the "fuel chemistry" so that it would no longer be harmful. Of course, this "news" was not available until way after the fact so that EPA would not be sued for the damage done due to their lack of proper formulation within the realm of the power characteristics within a diesel powerplant. Thus the birth of the theory of blaming the engine manufacturer, instead of the True Culprit - EPA. It truly bothers me everytime I read statements blaming engine manufacturers for something they had no knowledge of or power over, here in the U.S. Currently my 350 SDL has 174,000 miles on it, has been maintained according to the factory guidelines, and at a recent "physical" I had conducted for my own "peace of mind" - my mechanic states that it is running SUPERB. The shop I use is one that highly esteemed both here and throughout the Mercedes Community nationwide. Matter of fact, the Mercedes Club of America is where I found out about them in the first place when I moved here. NOTE: PLEASE don't think that I'm some sort of "hi-roller" because I seek advice & mechanical advice from such a notable organization - quite the contrary, I assure you. However, I DO believe in seeking advice from the best possible sources - it just makes common sense to me, as I want my dollars to stretch as far as possible, while enjoying an extremely well built car as Mercedes! My main point is this - that the Mercedes 350 Diesel engine is EXTREMELY RELIABLE. It's 26 years old and it runs as good or better than new cars that I have driven. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THE VEHICLE AND IT'S MAINTENANCE HISTORY - LOOK OVER THE VEHICLE IN DETAIL, AND MOVE FORWARD ON THE PURCHASE OF IT, IF IT "SPESAKS WELL OF ITSELF" TO YOU!

No Mercy Onramps
By Tom Wardell

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

The 1991 350 SDL was the last of the big body diesels . 3,500 or so were imported to the US and the pitiful 0-60 mph performance almost killed the US diesel market . I bought mine used with 275K on it and it is a joy to drive anywhere with speed limits under 45mph . I owned a 1969 220 with a manual transmission and it was quicker and faster than my 350 SDL . I have considered an electric helper motor like the Warp 9 but it's way too expensive for me . The 350 SDL would be a bad choice for semi-pro driver . It is a joy to drive at speeds under 55mph but does not have the muscle to get onto the highway with safety . Driving solo I'm only a risk to the other drivers on the road , but they're grown and have steering wheels too . Driving with passengers really just puts an exponent on the fear factor of having to use the shoulder at the end of the on ramp and have tractor trailers too close for comfort . There's no where to go and you're trapped in a car going 20mph less than traffic .

run forest run!!!
By peterfletcher

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SDL Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

this was my 3rd turbo diesel... i researched it hard and even called my MBZ mechanic about this model before purchase. he neglected to tell me about the head issue common on these models! blew the head gasket on the way back from picking it up. car had only 42K miles on it. cost me many thousand of dollars to repair... needless to say, i sold it shortly there after.

everything.. looks, drive, etc.. there is nothing like these old S classes with all the windows open, sunroof pulled back and hitting the open highway. i cant think of a more fun car to drive from san diego to palm springs in!

a new engine.. guess it was all covered back then by warranties and recalls but its a lost cause now.

Died on the highway
By raoking

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I bought one of these in the spring with a rebuilt head and rebuilt transmission. I really liked the car and own a 300sd, but I could not get it to run as well as I would have liked and I've read a lot about them and took as good a car of it as I could but it threw a rod I think, going highway speed it made a huge smoke cloud I pulled over and tried to stop it but it kept running and revving and then stopped. Basically totaled. Take my warning, I had read bad reviews of the engine but didn't pay attention.

body style, diesel.

design a good engine.

Amazing car, drives like a dream with a great gas mileage
By srh11293

1991 Mercedes-Benz 350-Class 350SD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

For a 20 year old car, I get 25 mpg and drive a large car in absolute comfort.
Great working AC.
Diesel starts every time.
My car required some initial investment, but after that the maintenance is very very reasonable (actually, cheap!).
Floats on the highway, and performs very well in the city.
Acceleration is acceptable - better then I expected.

Gas mileage. Low maintenance costs. Great design. Excellent quality of the workmanship.

Vacuum locks are weird. AC flow to the back seats could be better. Automatic lights would have been a big plus. Bigger trunk and fold down rear seats would be great as well.