2006 Mazda Tribute Consumer Review: Dead at 47,000 miles

2006 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Review

Dead at 47,000 miles
By sanzan on

2006 Mazda Tribute i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 6 1/2 years and just paid it off months ago.
I loved this car the entire time I had it.
Rarely had to put any money into it other than maintenance.
It was the perfect size for me and went great in the snow.
Until last week.

The valves started to tap and before I could get to a gas station to put oil in it, the engine locked up.
No warning.
Got it to the repair shop and upon inspection, they found that the engine was dead - $5,300 for a new engine.
Since that is about what the blue book value is, I decided to just buy a new car.

The oil had been changed last 4,000 miles ago.
There was no reason for the oil to have leaked, but apparently it did.
Trade in $500.

Great in the snow. Perfect size for an SUV Easy to drive

A month ago I would have given this car a rave review. Sudden engine death has killed my love of Mazda vehicles. I have read reviews by others that had the same problem, and actually know someone else that had this happen also.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jomarex
on 04/30/13 21:59 PM (PDT)

Who changed the oil? If it was a shop, it's entirely possible that they did something wrong, even to the point of forgetting to put new oil in it! That has happened many times. Unfortunately, we can't trust them to take as much care with our cars as we do...

By 8str8rollin
on 09/08/16 02:45 AM (PDT)

You are very right about that. It's precisely this reason why every time I have my oil changed, right after they are done with my car I check the oil level to make sure they actually put oil back in and that they filled it to the right level. I've already caught once when my car was "ready to go" after an oil change only to find that they had never refilled it with oil. They emptied out the old oil and through mis-communication it never got re-filled with new oil. If I had checked on it, I'm sure I would have ended up with a seized engine. One other time I got a "low oil" warning in a different car about a week after an oil change. Sure enough the dipstick showed almost no oil. In this case they refilled with new oil but the person who changed the oil filter didn't screw the new filter on properly so the majority of oil just leaked out. In both cases I was lucky to have caught it before engine failure. But that just shows you how easy it is for this type of thing to happen. If an engine seizes under 50'000 miles due to lack of oil and you've been getting the oil changed every 4k to 5k miles, there's a very good chance the last place you had the oil changed either never refilled it or screwed something up.