Used 2006 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

CRAPPY CRAPPY TRANSMISSION!!!!
By mkburgess828

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Tribute w/ 77k on her 17 months ago and first off it is VERY weak.
I maintain my vehicle myself and do so very OCD like. The transmission gave out on me @ 108k. My only complaints are the noticable lack of power and the PATHETIC transmissions Mazda designed and installed on these vehicles! Thank Goodness I have a GREAT hookup here in NC which rebuilt the tranny with much better than factory parts. I took out and reinstalled the transmission myself which saved $400. The rebulid alone was $900 which is a deal. If you buy a Tribute be prepared to replace the tranny without ANY doubt. For someone without help or ability its gonna be $1800-$2500..EASY Good luck, You'll need it!!!

Very stylish exterior design and very roomey interior. I like being able to run the fog lights without having to run the headlights at the same time.

Please redesign the transmission. That is the only downfall to this 06 Tribute I own. It is a major cost factor for owners. I drive my Mazda Very, Very easy and still the tranny shot out on me.

Will never buy a Mazda Again
By firsttimer8

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At first this vehicle was great.
Loved how sturdy it was and how it drove.
UNTIL I hit 70,000 miles.
Things went south and fast.
So far the oil pan had to be re-sealed TWICE, the transmission was leaking, the rack and pinon leaking (for break fluid), the starter had to be replaced, and now the alternator is bad.
This all has happened in under a year.
The dealership I bought it from stated I had an extended warranty for buying it and they also did not honor that warranty so all of the above was paid out of pocket.

I really got a crappy Mazda.
With 2 kids and hubby being the only one that works and me in school, This car has really put us in a hole and that is an understatement.

Improve your warranty and make sure things dont go to crap.

2006 Tribute Can't Tow
By frisbeeboy

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I researched and bought my 2006 Tribute s AWD, but it did not have the factory tow package. The dealer told me that you can add a hitch. The only problem is that it won't accept aftermarket wiring! I had two different trailer wiring harnesses installed by a pro and they both fired the module. The second one burned out the Tribute's computer. Mazda replaced it as a "good will gesture", but said that it can't accept an aftermarket trailer harness. My tribute also needed the leather driver's seat cover replaced, and a sunroof switch. Can anyone help with the wiring issue. I really want to tow a small trailer and also want to keep the tribute.
BTW- it only gets 18-20mpg around town.

great value among all SUV in market
By 4cyl 2006 tribute

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV i 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

this is great SUV, for less than 19k , which i paid this suv is great for its class and performance, i drove 29k miles and still going great , did not spend any dime other than regular oil change sporty and sexy suv,can not beat its value and class and modest price tag

sporty, good fuel efficiency, drives like car

seat cloth quality not that great,

First time Mazda owner update
By Judy H.

2006 Mazda Tribute SUV s 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am writing an update to my review of 4 years ago. I still really like my Tribute, and would probably buy another one. Done all routine maintenance and have had no mechanical issues (knock on wood) and hope it continues that way.

I still think it's fun to drive. It handles well. It's quite roomy for a small SUV. MPG have improved and highway MPG is about 28.

One complaint is the upholstery gets dirty and it's difficult to clean. One recommendation. Replace those awful Continental tires they come with. I replaced them with Michelin Latitudes and what a difference! No more road noise while driving!