Used 2004 Mazda Tribute Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

Still Going Strong
By scooter

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Tribute new about two years ago. The styling is very nice, and it really is fun to drive. It has great acceleration, and excellent brakes. It is very easy to park and maneuver. The sound system is fantastic. The only negative I have experienced is the fuel economy. I only get about 17-18 city, and about 24-26 highway. Not bad, but for a vehicle this size it should be better. The build quality is very good. No rattles or other annoying noises after 17,000 miles. Overall it is a very good little SUV.

V6, sound system.

Fuel economy.

Love my ZOOM ZOOM
By Sparky

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tribute for 1 1/2 years and LOVE it (except the gas mileage). Does great in the snow, even w/o the 4WD engaged. Wonderful ride quality, although there is a little wind noise at highway speeds.

It's quick! Quicker that most V8's I'd tested. The sound system is really nice also. We have 2 kids and a 90lb lab and we all fit fine w/ room to spare for camping gear etc.

Fuel economy! 15 city/19 hwy... most of Ford's V8's get better than that. More efficient dash board layout. That's about it!

'04 Tribute
By russ

2004 Mazda Tribute DX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle. The cost to own isn't that bad. It gets good fuel economy and can haul a fair amount of stuff. I have two kids so it does see some abuse.

It's a good looking vehicle. The inside is pretty well laid out.

The paint. The paint takes a minor rub and it scratches.

this is the one
By Mike

2004 Mazda Tribute ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I tried both the Escape and Tribute. I liked handling and style of Mazda. Mine is an ES with V6, AWD. This is a very good small SUV. I have had this vehicle for 1 year. It has 22k on it; 11k are mine. I maintain meticulous records of not just the mpg but rate the tank on how much city and highway driving I did and even on how hard I drove it. I averaged 16 mpg across 11k miles where I drove 85% suburban/15% highway. My worst mpg was 14 mpg all city driving and my best mpg was 22 mpg on all highway driving. [It is rated 18/24; I have yet to own a car that got its rated values and probably never will.] If you want a small 6 cylinder SUV, this is the one.

I like the pep, styling, handling, size, space, sound system, and moon roof. The AWD performance is exceptional in NE winters. The ABS will keep you out of accidents.

I dislike the seating position (mostly due to no telescoping steering wheel) and highway noise. One oddity, a need to adjust the back gate as it made an annoying squeak on even minor bumps in roads. It would be nice to use the AC and control which vents the AC comes from.

I thought it was the best...
By Roger122387 #2

2004 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second review.. i left my last one a little over a year ago.. I thought this car was great.. I have had so many problems.. the stereo has had to be replaced several times.. my passenger air bag cover keeps popping off, the sealing around the doors is coming off, and the wheels keep getting out of alignment (I mostly drive stricly highway). My Waco TX Mazda Dealership tell me that there are no problems with the CD player (it would never play any of my CD's!!), and then they said the airbag cover popping off was my problem.. after enough arguing with them they finally hesitated to fix it. But other than all of that, it has been fun to drive. Great car for out of town trips!!

The get up and go with my V6 engine, the exterior style of the car, not so happy about the inside look of it. Good and roomy. Great cargo space.

Make better quality seats, way better quality CD players since I had more than one replacement, better quality door seals, and just a better car itself!!