Used 2004 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

First SUV
By nanski50

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Mazada Tribute used with 85.000 miles in early Oct. 2012.
I decided to down size from my last vehicle which was a Crysler Town and Country mini van.
I did alot of research and the Tribute kept coming out on top.
This is a great little SUV.
It is fun to drive, peepy, and gets mileage as advertised.
It has no rattles and controls are easy to reach.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my mini van did but I am enjoying it completely.
I love my Tribute and plan to drive it for many years.

It's easy to handle.

Would love to have heated seats.

Disappointed with mileage and performance
By maskita

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used with 106K on the clock, now has 113K. We were attracted to the exterior styling and interior features of the 2004 Mazda Tribute. It gives a very stable and comfortable ride. I hate the poor air conditioning controls. When you select the A/C, you cannot select which vents (high or low) the air comes out of, unlike the Toyotas and Hondas that I am accustomed to. The V6 engine pulls fairly well at low speeds, but seems to have a difficult time maintaining 70 mph on some highway inclines. I expected better than 22 mpg from a modern Japanese vehicle of this size. Would not buy another one.

Styling. Powered, heated seats. Curtesy lights. Extra, always powered, 12V outlet in console. Comfortable and stable ride.

Copy Toyota / Honda airconditioning and ventilation controls. Improve gas mileage and performance. Transmission probably needs to be regeared to better match engine and vehicle weight.

Love my Tribute
By Love my Tribute

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd 2004 Tribute. The first one I traded for a Mazda 3 because of rising fuel costs back in 2005. I missed it so much that when I found another used 2004 within my price range, I bought it. It had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 95,000. The only thing that it's been in the shop for is recharging the AC. I love the way it rides and drives. I have a 20 mile commute to work and this past winter, when we had several bad snow storms, I didn't miss a day of work.

Everything! I like the power seats and the 6 disk CD player. Plus there's a lot of cargo space for moving my kids into college.

Better gas mileage. I only get an average of 20 MPG.

Solid Vehicle
By Trib Lover

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new and have 112K miles on it. Overall, this vehicle has been solid, reliable and fun to drive. Other then routine maintenance, I have put very little money into repairs. It's great on long trips and in the city. Very versatile, comfortable and peppy! The only beef I have is the mileage. I average about 21 mpg combined. It seems like I'm always at the gas station! I had no intention of keeping this vehicle for so long, but I have no good reason to get rid of it!

Ride comfort, engine power, reliability, versatility, kickin' stereo.

Better mileage and bigger gas tank

WOW
By CMP

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Tribute used with 140000 on odo. 1 owner and they took such good care of it, WOW what a fun drive!!! Moved up from a GeoTracker. Love the rear cargo room and the leather seats, and the stereo! Previous owner had no major repair or complaints in the years of ownership, was buying a new Tribute. 140,000 miles folks and not a oil leak on the v6! I hope to drive this light SUV to 350,000 or more. Only complaint I have is the small gas tank.

Leather! Stereo rocks! Ease of driving and power! Zoom zoom

how about a bigger gas tank? Need a little more gas for long trips