Used 2003 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

transmission trouble 3 times
By Eileen Kelley

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car but at 22,000 miles the transmission leaked; dealership put in a new transmission. Almost a year to the day the 2nd transmission with only 14,000 miles now has to be replaced again. The dealership is very rude and has an "oh well this happens" attitude. Very frustrating because what's to stop it from happening again next year? Mazda customer service is not much better. Accused me of not taking care of the car. Now the front wheel bearings are to be replaced. Haven't had much satisfaction from anyone. Am going to try Attorney General's office next.

Everything but the transmission.

Change gear shift; too close to radio controls.

great vehicle
By bill

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I liked the price compared to the Toyota Highlander which I almost bought instead. After 43K, only had a recall on the accelerator cable -- other than that not one problem.

Sunroof, stereo, auto 4 wheel drive plus being able to lock it in 4 wheel drive, power of the V6.

Like everyone else's complaint, the tires are excessively noisy. I can't wait until they wear out. Shift lever location, passenger door locks.

New Rotors at 30,000 miles...WTF!!!
By Mike Valentine

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been told by Kona Mazda/Suburu that the 2003 Mazda Tribute ES (may apply to other years and models) requires new rotors at approximately 30,0000 mile service...WTF. They state that they can't be shaved because they wear down just like the brake pads and do not groove the rotors thus allowing a mechanic to shave them. Further, Mazda dealer states a federal sticker is located somewhere on the rotor that warns or states not to shave them. Had they told me this when I bought it new...I would have never bought this piece of crap. That was my fourth and last Mazda. Hello Honda!

Everything until the Brake Rotor issue came up.

Brake Rotors that don't need to be replaced at 30,0000 miles under normal driving conditions.

Great SUV
By lespitz

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great little SUV for the money. The Ford 3.0 V6 performs great. We live in the mtns with tons of snow and the 4wd system performs great along with the 4 wheel ABS. Gets better gas mpg than the Subaru outback wagon we used to own and has more power.

6 disc in the dash stero. 4wd system Rear cargo, good handling.

Transmission shift lever in the way of stero controls

2nd one is better
By jaybud31

2003 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one in april 2003 brand new 400 miles on it (from transporting) was in the shop m-fri for i think...the first 3 weeks, I got it back on weekends, they couldnt figure out the problem with the engine/cooling lights coming on constantly. I requested after the 4 week, I get to "swap" for a different one, as i had a 1200 mile road trip planned, that was why i bought a new vehicle, so I picked another new one with 15 miles on it in May 2003 paid more, but the 2nd one has been great! no regrets. I love it.

I love the look, the sound system, the warranty is better than most. after 2 yrs of ownership, it still feels new to me.

i havent looked into the 2005's to see what all is new, other than i know the gear shift is now on the floor, which i wish they would have done from the start. maybe an armrest in the backseat, if the 2005 model didnt add it.