Used 2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

BIGGEST MISTAKE
By Regret

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I had the car in the shop 8 times during the first year. The car would not start and none of the Mazda mechanics at the dealership could tell me why. I had to contact the Mazda corp. in California. They literally told me that the "RX8 is not to be used to drive short distances under 20 miles consecutively. It is meant for roadtrips and long commutes" I told them that they need to put that on their website and that it was a scam. So if you need to take it get groceries or drive to work under 20 miles one way, you are out of luck. HEED MY WARNING!!!!!! DON'T BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!

I like how the outward appearance.

make a reliable car and stop lying to your customers.

It's a love, hate relationship
By Jessica

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased my RX8 used almost 2 years ago. My engine started "fluttering" 4 days after I bought the car. I have only had problems since. If your RX-8 is not idling correctly, you need to have the engine replaced. Finally after 2 years of problems, mine are about to be solved. If you are looking to buy this car, please know that it is not a grocery getter. You have to heat the engine completely up before you can turn it off. Do yourself a HUGE favor and do some research. You would be amazed at what needs to be done for the upkeep of this car. I love mine to the point that I cant trade it in. Make sure you are willing to put in the time and effort to keep it up.

Sporty looks, handling, everything about it.

Engine flooding problems (computer issue) and "fluttering" engine issues (if yours is vibrating hard while stopped, you need to get it into mazda and have them do their 30 min. road test asap. you may need a new motor.)

Most vain car ever made
By brandon

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

Ok so I bought this car fresh after becoming single and this car was the vainest purchase I have ever made in my life. The car IS sexy, but that is it. It is not cheap, HORRIBLE ON GAS, and EXTREMELY HIGH maintenance!!! You have to check the oil a lot, it has to be run everyday or it won't turn over. Please learn from my mistake and buy a reliable and practical car.

It looks VERY HOT!

Get rid of that rotary garbage!! there is seriously nothing good about the rotary engine, nothing!

I love my Rx-8
By I love mazda R's

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual Shinka Special Edition 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love this car!!! I have wanted one since they came out (when I was 11) because my grandma had a yellow Rx-7 when I was little, and I missed it. It drives great, though loud, I love that. You have to use the best quality EVERYTHING!!! I cant stress that more. I live in the hills and it is fun to drive on the curves. I just bought it a month ago as my first car...LOL :)

-Engine loudness -Fun to drive -The looks

-fuel economy

Original Owner for 3 years
By SpookiusMortem

2005 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased this vehicle new 3 years ago this month. This is the only car I have ever owned where after 3 years of ownership, I still have that new car excitement about it. I doubt I will ever part with this car and hope it will become a classic. I live in an urban environment and get a good mix of metropolitan and highway driving. Driving an RX-8 in the city is a blast. Its nimbleness and cornering ability make it capable of getting places fast. My favorite thing about driving this car is being able to fly around a corner, and if you feel is start to slip, goosing the throttle a little and feel it grip through the turn as if it were on rails.

Interior. 50-50 weight distribution. Suicide doors. No center pillar between front and rear door. Did I mention the interior? Lots of trunk space (though the opening is small). Handling! Cornering! Very forgiving at its limits. Oh, and before I forget...the interior :)

Better quality paint job needed. It chips super easily. Same goes for the windshield, it's already so pitted I am considering replacing it. But those to items are the ONLY quality problems I have had with this car. More torque please!