Used 2003 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Reviews - 296 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege5

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (296 reviews )

MP5 enthusist
By eddie

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in March of 2003, as of today I have approx. 115,000 miles. I've gone through three sets of tires, new brakes and rotors, new radiator, timing belt, and one tranny flush. This car is awesome. Before this car, I owned the Mazda 626, so I was already hooked on Mazdas. The first year and a half, I would always take my car to the dealership to be serviced, but the cost got so high, I started doing all of the easy maintenance myself. That kept the cost of owning this car really low! All in all this car has held up and I love it till this day!

I love the styling of this car and the fact that I upgraded my head lamps to HIDs the road is so much brighter at night. I upgraded my brakes and rotors, to drilled and slotted. Bought ZR rated tires and new stabilizer bar. My car looks more aggressive especially in yellow.

There are many little things this car could have used that you can now find on the Mazda 3s, so it's pointless to point them out. Just makes me want to go buy the Mazdaspeed 3. I just don't want to give up my sport shifter, for a full manual. I plan to upgrade my stereo to a in-dash dvd navigation

I LOVE MY MAZDA PROTEGE 5!
By Phatgirl254

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car brand spanking new on November 12, 2003. I looked at the car without even test driving it and bought it. The color is what reeled me in! It is now August 2008 and I have not had ONE SINGLE PROBLEM out of my car. The only parts that I've replaced on my car are the front headlight bulbs and the tires! Still as the original brakes, clutch, transmission, radiator, etc. It's so much fun to drive and I have absolutely no problems making quick maneuvers in and out of traffic. This is my second Mazda and I'm a customer for life!

Handling, color, easiness in driving, gas mileage is awesome (375 miles per tank) sportiness and size.

Door lock on back rear door. Actuator seemed to go bad early on but got it replaced under warranty.

Protege/prodigy
By bob green

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want some fun on a budget try prying one of these away from some one. This is my sixth Mazda (including a '91 Miata) so you may sense a bias. However this car is so easy to drive enthusiastically, my only regret is that I can't drop the top! Corners flat, easy to drive in city traffic. Peppy without the AC going, OK with. Cruises happily at 75 plus, no problem. Fuel consumption is about 30, but can be stretched to 34 with a lighter foot. Still no rattles or squeaks. At 50,000, feels like it's just breaking in. No defects, one minor factory recall. My wife likes to sneak away with it once in a while. What else can I say? Find a good one used and drive it 'til it drops (200,000+)

Steering, handling, solid build.

Not reliable or maybe not lucky!!!
By Sam

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car 4 years ago. Recently, the engine started making a loud sound and it seems that it may cost me over $1200 to repair it (with only 86,000 miles on the engine). I was hoping to keep the car longer. At this level not sure if I'm willing to spend that much money on a car that's only 4 years old. What would happen in few months if I fix the car! Would it brake again! This is a major maintenance for a car this new. So I would have to say that Mazda Protege5 is not a reliable car or I'm an unlucky guy! I hope my comments helped.

Nicer interior than the Toyota Matrix or Honda Civic. Not as much plastic look in it.

More engine power or make it quietter.

I can't believe how reliable this car is
By mikeyp70

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I now have 85k on this car. I change the oil every 3-5k miles and change the antifreeze and air filter at the recommended intervals. That's it. Changed the brakes (pads only) at 60,000 miles. That's right, original rotors. I had to change my last GM's at 20k because they warped (under-designed). Kuhmo tires only cost $68 and I put 50k+ on my last set vs the original tires without much change in performance or ride quality. This is a great car and the 28-30 mpg couple with low maintenance costs makes it very economical. And oh yeah... it's fun. Nimble and sporty.

Handling, head and leg room. I'm 6'2 and comfortably drive this car 20k per year. Fold down rear seat make it great for carrying cargo. I've picked up stuff for home improvements and packed it with stuff to go camping. Best of all, its sporty.

Wouldn't change a thing.