Used 2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 295 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (295 reviews )

Honda and Toyota look out
By colt933

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the P5 new for my wife. She drove a '94 Miata daily for years so this Mazda was a no-brainer. Still have the Miata. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned including 3 Hondas, except for maybe the Miata. The only items that have failed and needed replacement are the O2 sensor, starting battery, and a window regulator. I do all maintenance myself - which is minimal. I've put synthetic oil in since the first oil change. At over 100k miles the brakes still have 40% life and the clutch is still strong. It doesn't need new shocks/struts either. We typically get 32-34mpg on the highway. It is starting to use some oil - but we've had it for 7 years!

The zoom-zoom ad campaign was right. This car is a blast to drive - very capable and confidence building. The exterior and interior styling are great too. Invest in some good sport tires. The brakes and suspension are great. Mazdas compare favorably to Honda and Toyota, especially used prices.

OEM tires were lame as with most cars. Cup holders are not very usable. For those who complain about tire pricing, go up one size in tread width and down one size in sidewall and you will find a whole world of tire options!

Most Reliable I have ever owned
By chere50

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda brand new in 2003. Today it has 160,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. It has a few minor mechanical problems but that is caused by just normal wear and tear. This is hands down the most reliable car I have ever owned. The styling is outstanding and it is super fun to drive. I would not hesitate in replacing it with another Mazda. The only drawbacks are where the cup holders are situated. I have a 5- speed and when you are in first or third gear, I continually hit the cups in the holder and sometimes I have to move them to get the car into gear. I do wish it had an inside hatch release, but other than these small things I have no complaints.

Reliability, comfort, 6 cd changer

Inside hatch release, reconfigure the cup holders

Fun little car
By ADrugAgainstWar

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last year at a dealer. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the body design, and i still love it. i think the new Mazda3 is a little too bubbly, when they designed this thing they weren't afraid to add a few edges! Fun to drive, has some of that "zoom-zoom" at lower speeds. unfortunately, the little 4-banger does have to try a bit to get up steep hills, and it is very sluggish when four friends are packed inside. Oil filter is kind of a pain to get to. This baby does have a good clutch though. catches in the exact same place every time. I kind of wish it was RWD, but that's wishful thinking. it's as close as you can get to having a miata that you can haul people in

Body style, hands down. it looks sensible, yet aggressive. it doesn't take itself too seriously. Fun to drive. solid suspension, good clutch. quick, nimble, good handling. comfy ride, even in the back seats (or so i'm told). fog lights are nice. brakes are solid.

Variable speed intermittent wipers, RWD (I can dream, can't I?), More Horses under the hood. the headlamps are the most ridiculously complicated thing to change on the car. couldn't it just be a simple click-turn? a 6th gear would be nice, but only if it had more power. a full-sized spare.

Great Used Car
By Kubus_gt

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a good used car, P5 should be on the list if you can find one with low miles. I bought mine a year ago moving up, yes up, from Explorer. P5 was on my short list of cars as one of few small Wagons. The first day, I took it down twisty, country road and finally remember what I was missing out on. P5 is well designed inside, seats are comfy, all the switches, knobs and gauges are in the right places, and has the right gadgets too. Engine with 130HP is not too peppy but manages to get by, especially when kept above 3K rpms. It is very reliable engine. I have the autostick tranny which was ‘03s addition over ’02 model. Smooth shifts when not under power in auto mode.

Ride is nice, very tight and steering is precise. Back seat room is enough for a child seat and an adult. Trunk space is just enough, holds couple boxes of diapers, seats fold flat to give a lot more room (as in 720 sqft of laminate floor with padding from IKEA) Excellent brakes, no fade.

There are few quirks to this car. 3 speed wipers, front headlight bulbs have short life, only few choices for tires (Kumho is good and cheap), some people had problems with EGR vales (stalls) not mine, engine noise (I like it, has a nice tune), cost and quality of replacement parts - go Mazda OEM.

Just bought my first zoom zoom
By sweetmetal

2003 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have wanted to be the proud owner of a Mazda for a long time. I finally came across one that I could as one person said "pry from someones hands" for a price I could afford. Just as I imagined the adrenaline raced through my veins as I drove it for the first time.. So I am addicted. I am IN LOVE with this car and from the reviews I have read that will not change anytime soon! So far so good.

the pick up and style

There is no way to improve the car that I am driving... I love it..