Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 233 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (233 reviews )

2002 PR5 vs Honda Fit
By mustangleader

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new 165,000 miles. Read a review by a person who traded in his PR5 for Fit claiming how it was a much better car. Huh? PR5 has more space and is a bigger car. Mileage is slightly better via Fit because it's a smaller engine. Fit owner claims it drives like a go cart. Well, I drove a Fit and no comparison. Stock PR5 still out performs Fit and with some aftermarket things like cold air filter, magna flow system, and computer update for less than $800, the PR5 outperforms fit in every area except for mileage which I get 25 in town, 32-34 on the road depending how fast I drive. If you can get a low mileage PR5, the cost is cheaper than a Fit and these cars last.

Sport car agility, looks, leg room, driver seat comfort, ease of shifing 5 speed. CA car and no problems of tires like other reviews in colder areas.

Really none. But if you find stock engine underpower, add a few afmkt items. Cold AF and megna flow system is all you need.

Couldn't be happier with my Protege5!
By Rich

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a sporty hatchback, and was choosing between a couple of Subarus and Toyota Matrix at the time. Protege5 styling was very sleek looking in 2002, and nice looking chrome alloy wheels and low-profile Dunlop sport tires sealed the deal. The only problem I had with this vehicle was with the headlights. There was some kind of electrical/wiring issue there necessitating frequent replacements. Other than that, it's a dream to drive, performs very well in braking, acceleration and overall ride comfort for a relatively small car. The engine isn't that powerful, but I have a 5spd so you get the nice Zoom Zoom experience anyway. Love this car!

Styling (interior and exterior), road performance on long trips, gas mileage and reliability. Roomy trunk for small car.

Electrical, sound system could be a little more dynamic.

One recurring problem
By Peter R.

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was initially happy with the car. The handling was superb and it suited my needs. However the odd size tires 195/55 16 are hard to find and expensive. The worst part has been the brakes. The left rear caliper siezed after 18 months and was fixed under warranty. I have had the same problem occur two more times in 7 years of ownership. I have replaced the rear rotors twice and the rear calipers once in 80,000. Plus 2 sets of pads and a rebuild of the the seized caliper twice. This is an unacceptable issue in my mind. My benchmark is my 1994 corolla that had zero problems in 120,000 miles.

Sporty drive, lots of nice standard options at a reasonable price, station wagon needs with non-station wagon look.

Tire size was totally odd. Hard to find size. Not thrilled with the longevity of them either. Brakes. In my experience, they have been a major problem and I have had them worked on almost ever other year since owning the car.

Excellent Bang for the Buck!
By yfrnaks

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most trouble-free car I have ever driven. I currently have 131,000 miles on it and have only gone in for maintenance and one repair. In addition, the shop mechanics have never found anything that would need repair. Only repair: Replace EGR valve ($370 Seattle, non- dealership). Driving: Drives terrible in the snow, even with Michelin X-Ice tires and traveling well below 25 mph. If driven faster than that, you can expect the car to slide two school bus lengths when braking. Rain, car slips a lot too.

Steering makes it easy to drive and park. Seats are very comfortable, especially on long trips.

All wheel drive. Light bulb replacement more user friendly. Improve winter/snow performance.

A True Gem
By Tweek

2002 Mazda Protege5 Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched every other car in this class and deliberated for nearly four months before making up my mind and to this day I've never looked back. Amazing on fuel, fun to drive (I'd recommend the stick), she's beautiful to look at both inside and out and with the right aftermarket audio improvements she's a music lover's dream. There is so much I could say about my baby but if you own one you already know... and if you don't, well, I can save you the headaches of looking around. THIS IS THE CAR TO GET!!!... hands down.

Sport-tuned race car like handling, great overall performance especially with the manual and great fuel economy. Gorgeous inside and out!

Better stock tires (upgrades make a great difference). Add a K&N filter... it sounds fabulous and adds a couple of hp... worth every penny!