Used 2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

A true sleeper
By Dnasty

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Protege is one the best handling front wheel drive cars in its class still to date. The car moves any where you want it move without much effort. The interior is pretty good better then average. Gas mileage is great on the car. I've had my protege for about 3 years and it's on 93,000 and never gave me any problems as long you take care of the car. I suggest buying some performance parts for the car, cold air intake, and exhaust system. For ride comfort suggest getting 17 inch rims no bigger with sporty tires. Will make a world difference.

Very responsive steering, great brakes, 5 speed transmission is a lot of fun. Plenty room for you and friends enjoy a long rides.

The wind noise is pretty loud. For people like speed like myself more horse power.

Little car with BIG attitude
By Mazda Forever

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Protege is the best little car anyone can have. It is great on fuel. It attracts a lot of attention because of the style and mainly the color because it is Laser Blue Mica. I get offers to buy my car even though it is not for sale. I like the way it rides except for the road noise. I think that has to do with the low profile tire on my car.

Color, style and rear spoiler.

In case they decide to make another Protege, I would like for the car to have at least 2 or 3 different tire types it can have on it instead of 1 such as Low Profile tires that are sometimes expensive. Maybe a better stereo system, and possible reduction of road and wind noise.

Mazda Protege LX sedan 2003
By Luigi

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda. It works well and I've never really had a problem with it even after someone hit me going 40 when I was at a complete stop. Not that much damage done to it when it was hit, but it did cost a few thousand dollars to get it fixed. Very fun to drive. Pretty fast (obviously not a Corvette or BMW, but still fast enough to make you happy). Very good handling and easy layout of controls (minus the power windows switch for driver. I always press the back ones on accident). Other then that I'm glad I have it. Gas could be better especially with the prices the way they are now.

The steering wheel. The sound of the engine. The speed it can handle. The handling itself. And the stereo (though I don't like that the buttons get really hot after playing a cd for a while).

Move the power window switch for the driver down more. Offer power seats, and a stiffer back seat. The back seat it way too soft.

Mixed feelings
By DJ

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One one hand, I love the power and handling you get with such a small sticker price. The Protege killed the Civic and the Corolla in the test drive. It's been a lot of fun!! However, I've had to throw a lot of money at it in the four years I've owned it. I've replaced both wheel bearings twice and the stabilizer links twice also. Very disappointing. The mileage isn't all that great either.

The power out of that little 2.0L!!

The Mazda factory needs to spend the extra nickel on better suspension and drive parts.

Zoom Zoom
By icspots

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not the car I wanted when I went shopping! I wanted the SUV but couldn't really afford it then and sort of settled for the Protege. I fell in love with this car. I recently had the chance to trade car in for the SUV, I was tempted but I couldn't part with car. I plan to pay off the car then get the SUV also!

Plenty of ZIP, Don't even miss old V-6 car. Very good gas mileage. Pretty roomy for a small car. Reliable.

Cup holders in back seat & better placement in front. (2 large Sonic drinks sort of cramped.) Tint on windshield & sunroof would be good.