Used 2003 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

very happy owner
By wtkidd1972

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car without truly being interested in a Mazda Protégé, just interested in a small, inexpensive, economical way to get to work. I had never owned a Mazda before, but the Protégé seemed like exactly what I was looking for. Six years and 95,000 miles later my Protégé runs just as well as the day I brought it home, and is still just as fun to drive. All I do is keep up with oil changes, and keep putting new tires on it. I’ve replaced the brakes once. This car has been amazing. Would love get a the new Mazda 6, but find it hard to get rid of the Protege when it still feels like a new car.

The handling is amazing. Feels like a much faster car that it is. Front seats are comfortable for long trips. The dashboard layout is simple and functional. The 17" rims and side marker lights make the car look serious.

130 HP just isn't enough. Back seat is tight, even with small kids that don't need booster/car seat. MPG could be better.

Sad To See Go...
By tanner

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i had a 03 protege dx for about 5 years...would still have it but someone rear ended me and totaled it. pro's- good gas mileage..great head on look...reliable con's- poor seal on windows lets water it...not alot to it so highway and windy driving can create some excitement...lots of whistling and humming noises come from the engine at around 60k miles.... put around 50k on this...not major repairs...replaced brake pads once...tires once...changed the oil...never stranded or failed on me...some minor issues but a solid car for the category.

head on look, gas usage, reliable, trunk seems big

noisy engine+trans, poor seals on windows creating noise and leaks

Nice looking car but some major problems
By LUKISS

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the LX 2.0 in 2007 with 60,000 K's on it. About 8 months later, anytime it rainied either overnight or in the day the car was parked, when I started up the car it would shake and sputter then the engine light would flash and then stay on. Oh and the big hit was when the transmission went on the car from a worn seal that probably costs .25 cents, it ended up costing me $2000.00 to get fixed and this was in April 2009 with about 98,000 kms on it. A friend has a Mazda Tribute and was having the same problems when it rains, it shakes and sputters. NEVER WILL I BUY A MAZDA PRODUCT AGAIN

Nice Laser blue car, got lots of looks for it's exterior, nice factory sound system, good fuel.

I have read reviews and everyone says they love their Protege, well maybe I just got a lemon off the assembly line but it cost me alot in repairs. No more Mazdas for me

Good Car
By Kurt

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 5 speed for 5 years and absolutely love it. Pros: Decent gas mileage, (not as good as a Corola, but more fun to drive) Fun to drive, responsive handling, good road feel comfortable seat. Good shifter. Very reliable, (just brakes and tires are the only parts replaced. Con. Noisy to ride in.

Road feel, handling

quieter ride

Reliable as the Sun
By trogglbey

2003 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a paper route; that is 60 miles a night of continuous stop and go with a heavy load of newspapers. This car never complains. Still has excellent get up and go with almost 150000 miles of hard driving. Never been in the shop for anything aside from a belt replacement and an AC recharge. Most reliable and solid little car I've ever owned. No rattles, clunks, or squeaks to drive one crazy. I love this car.

The handling in amazing, the turn radius being extremely tight and takes turns like a dream. Roomy interior for its size. And remarkably good gas mileage in stop and go driving. The gear box in tight and responsive without much fuss.

The headlight assembly could be a little friendlier when it comes to changing the bulbs and the fuel mileage at highway speeds could be upped a bit. But otherwise its a fantastic driver!