Used 2003 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Best car I have owned, hate to see it go
By Peter

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned the Mazda Protege LX for seven years now, I purchased the vehicle in 2004 with only 20k for the mileage and I currently have over 195K on the vehicle now. Besides normal wear and tear parts that you expect to wear out, I haven't put more than like $100.00 into this vehicle. I always changed my oil regularly and did other minimal scheduled maintenance like filters, plugs, trans fluid, etc....and this vehicle owes me nothing. The gas mileage was good, I was getting about 28mpg on the highway and about 22 to 24mpg city depending on how fast I was driving. I also put sporty aggressive tires on it and it greatly improved the driveablitity, I put the Yokahoma "S" Drive tire on

Very comfortable, very reliable I beat the crap out of thgis car and drove it all over the country, easy and fun to drive,good gas mileage, good interior space I am 6'1" and fit just fine. Very safe car I just got into an accident that unfortunately totaled out my Protege but I am fine.

I had a brake issue where the brake calipers would stay pressed against the pads and wear them out faster and make a grinding noise, issue fixed cause it needed manufacturers parts. Needs better stock tires doesn't drive as good with cheap stock tires

I wish I could buy this car again new.
By Bornaleo819

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My brother passed this car on to me in 2005 after my car was totaled in an accident & he wanted to get a new BMW. He has regretted that decision ever since. I still have it today in 2010 & he has gone through about 3-4 cars still trying to find the right one. This car is reliable, does really well with gas, has good power acceleration to it, is comfortable and besides normal wear & tear with tires, the only thing that happened was a leak with the radiator & in the air intake hose there was a hole. I replaced both parts & runs like brand freaking new. Unfortunately, I have a small daughter so this car can feel tight sometimes but this is a car you will not regret getting. She's a beaut.

Reliable, barely any mechanical issues, inexpensive parts, great gas mileage, decent trunk space.

More roof space would be great if you have kids, child lock on the doors needed, sunroof would be pretty cool, tinting is mandatory-car can get pretty hot.

Still reliable after all these years
By caneshooter

2003 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My fourth consecutive Mazda. Still very reliable at 112k miles, only routine maintenance performed thus far. ES model's 2.0 motor is peppy even with the 4-speed automatic. A major negative is road noise. DX & LX Proteges were already noisy and the ES model's low profile tires take it up a notch. That's why I only rated the car a "5" for comfort.

Reliability, reliability, reliability!

ES model eats low profile tires. Always wearing unevenly, I've had four sets of rubber in 100k miles. Road noise is so bad its hard to have a conversation, even on a cell phone. Gas mileage is abysmal for a car this size, I'm averaging about 25mpg with 20/80 city/hwy driving.

Maybe the perfect "cheap" car
By FenderCalderon

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A picture of this car should be alongside the dictionary entry for reliable. In 5 yrs the only unexpected repair was the main engine belt -and it was probably my fault. After owning a lemon it feels great knowing you can rely on this car. As far as routine maintenance goes you can DIY and save even more money. The interior materials won't be winning any prestigious awards but regardless for a car in this price range the interior is more than ok. I like to have fun when I drive and this is a good car for that; just don't expect to have great gas mileage this way. Sometimes I think the car may be boring but when I find an open stretch of road to let 'er rip I always end up smiling.

The handling makes this car just plain old fun to drive, the front view, the layout of all of the car's controls is great, huge trunk for a compact car, fitting into a parking space is never a problem.

Definitely the road and wind noise, when driving on non smooth roads their is some rattling in the interior, gas mileage and acceleration should be better for such a compact car, when you're not able to drive "fun" (when stuck in traffic or residential area) the car is boring.

gas tank leaking & rust
By fuel tamk leaking

2003 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car Just over 5 years old, the gas tank was leaking, cost me $1400 to replace the pump, gas tank and etc. Complained to Mazda company, but they did not care. I will not buy any Mazda again. The Mazda company cut too much cost to build this Protege, not only the rust on the gas tank, but also other areas. I make a big mistake to buy this mazda protege. Gas tank leaking is a safety issue!! I can accept other problems, but not gas tank.

interior design.

I do not care, I am not going to but any Mazda again..