Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

After 6 years it's still fun to drive!
By JimmyJam

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since I just got out of college. I have revved the engine to redline on a regular basis (I have a stick), and maxed out at a top speed of over 140 mph (on the way to Vegas - note the throttle just shuts out till your speed drops down). I have to say that this is probably the best car I have ever owned for the price! I have only done quasi regular oil changes, one set of breaks, one set of tires, and a fluid/transmission flush, oh and a battery replacement, that's it! No lights or fuses have been replaced, I have never even replaced the batteries in my remote keyless! The spare set still looks brand new! She is paid off, and I am keeping her and getting a CX7!

Love the white face gauges.

Quieter interior.

excellent car
By joel

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Got it used but have had no problems with it. It has dual overhead cams which means a more powerful than average engine. Car handles very well and has enough power even with a full load of passengers and a full trunk. Get about 23 mpg in the city and about 29 mpg highway which isn't bad for a 2 liter engine.

Strong reliable engine and tranny.

Better fuel economy.

Original owner, 113K miles
By Ray

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've just made my final payment. I have had not a single problem with the car. In fact the first set of brake pads lasted 90K miles and I am on my 3rd set of tires. The combination of good fuel economy, bulletproof reliability, well appointed interior, and great handling make this car a winner. If you can find a used one that has been well maintained buy it, especially the ES model.

Interior design, handling, ABS and side airbags (option on ES model)

fuel economy, more horsepower, a 6 speed transmission

Flawless
By Viener Vanker

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new. No problems whatsoever. At 72,000 miles, still on original brakes. They never wear out.

Flawless reliability. Great performance with 5 speed manual. If I need another used, I'll look for another Protege.

V rated tires? On this car? A less expensive tire would have made more sense for this class of vehicle.

Should have bought a Civic
By canadiancarguy

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2.0 ES GT with a 5 spd brand new back in 01. The car was the best value in its class (for Japanese makes). Engine has always sounded rattley at start up, though this hasn't caused a real problem yet. The EGR valve needed replacement at about 60,000 kms. Now at 75,000 kms the alternator failed. These two problems don't bother me as much as the corrosion problems I have had with this car. I live in Toronto, and they use road salt heavily, but it is still no excuse for the amount of rust this thing has on it for its age. Every piece of metal attached to this car is rusty , body panels or any mechanical part. Even the horn has failed due to corrosion. Mazda is still behind the rest.