Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Love it
By Carla

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda Protege 2002 is the best car i have ever had. I will never go back to another car in my life. Everything about this car is wonderful. Nothing as gone wrong since i have purchased it. This car is worth buying!!!!

164,000 and going strong
By Deb

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My protege has been very reliable. I have kept up with changing the oil every 3000 miles and change the other fluids as scheduled. When I first purchased the car, I'd crank the engine and couldn't hear it running. Now many miles later, I can hear just a small purr. I've had no transmission problems and no problems that have left me stranded. I'm hoping this car will last til over 200k and then I'm buying another Mazda.

Inside is roomier than the Honda Civic which was the same price at the time. PLenty of trunk space.

Could be quieter on the road.

GREEAAT CAR!!
By gerry

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased 10/09. In beautiful condition. Well kept..runs,looks great. absolutely no problems. What a kick to drive. Has 200000 miles and runs like 20000 miles. Have a Sebring Conv,Chrysler T&C,Lincoln,and a Buick, and I would rather drive the Protege. Looking for another one.

Very comfortable. Great looking inside and out. Excellent finish for that many miles.

Quality car.. Sure will consider another Mazda in the future. Most cars would be junk by 200000 miles!

Excellent Used Car
By Jeff

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this for my son. Have basically taken it over myself! Great car. Rides great, gets pretty good mileage and is really comfortable. Would recommend for anyone looking for reliable, quality used car. Better than my old civic!

Comfortable seating for 4 adults.

Improved mileage would be nice. However, very peppy for a 4 cylinder.

High quality, low price
By Colleen

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a reliable car! I've had this car for 7 years and have put 120,000 miles on it and I've never needed to get any repairs done. If you look at this car, there's nothing about it that would make you say "wow that's cool!" but it's reliable, spacious, handles well, comfortable, efficient, affordable, has good mpg, and when a friend spilled a slurpee on my fabric seats I discovered that they're stain resistant. A S2000 owner drove my car once and said "wow this little car handles well!"

spaciousness, comfort

The DX version does not have automatic door locks or windows. It sure would be nice to have those!