Used 2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Awesome Car
By Liz

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for a woman! NEVER have any mechanical problems; the only thing I do to this car is the routine maintenance that it needs. It already has more that 100,000 miles and is still running like the first day I bought it :)

I love that is has 4 doors and that the trunk is that big for a car that small. In addition, it has a great sound system and the interior is very cool looking. Most of the cars that I tested had cheap and horrible design interiors.

More leg room on the back seats.

Great Little Car
By John

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great mileage, at times getting 36+ on the interstate. Other than routine maintenance, never had a problem with almost 85,000 on the odometer. Highly recommend this car.

Sturdily built.

Bit more leg room for 6 footers.

Improvement was needed on the MP3
By Sphantomk

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I wanted one from the day it came out on the lot. After I got one though I had to admit that everyone was right. It needed more power. So I got my hands on a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege that was wrecked by a rear end collision with only 1k miles on the car. Took the full turbo kit and put it on my MP3. The MP3 now has just over 200 horsepower at the wheels. The car is now perfect!

The stance, suspension, the car...

Needed the Mazdaspeed turbo that I put on it.

A Fun to Drive Bargain
By Flying_M

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege in 2001 near the end of the season. I really enjoy driving this car. It holds the road well and is really fun to drive. I love the slick shifting 5 speed manual and the steering response. It has decent acceleration for a 2.0 liter and can really be thrown into corners. The interior space is a little smaller than some competitors and the seats are not comfortable for long trips. The only two complaints I have are the tires and CD player. The original tires wore too quickly (30k) and did not grip as well as the replacements do. The LCD on the CD players is sometimes missing pieces of numbers, making it hard to read. This happened after it was out of warranty.

Smooth shifting manual transmission, great handling, sporty looks, and easy to reach radio controls.

Seats are a bit uncomfortable on long trips (bottom cushion is too short). Tilt steering is hard to access. Many trim panels feel cheap. The original tires (Bridgestone Potenzas) wore too quickly and did not handle as well as many other "V" rated tires.

My Protege
By R. Glass

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Protege. I purchased it brand new (5/01). I've put 76K miles on it and ABSOLUTELY no problems! Only oil changes & I did the timing belt & water pump at 60K as recommended.

2.0L engine is the BEST! It makes a huge difference in the pick up of the vehicle getting on & off the highway.

I have the low profile/high performance tires & almost had heart failure when I had to buy new tires - very very expensive! However, I still LOVE the car!