Used 2000 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

My most dependable car ever
By Brian

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

A great little dependable commuter. I've nothing but good things to say about the Protege. Mine has gone for 8 years and 220,000 miles. The only issues aside from routine maintenance were motor mounts, front wheel cv boots, and a front wheel bearing at approx. 150,000 miles. Considering my purchase price of 11k in 2000 new from the dealer this car cost me just $0.05 per mile. Looking forward to my next Mazda commuter.

Dependability, cost.

CD player, road noise.

The best car we've ever owned!
By mazdabois4life

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our Protege brand spankin' new - she only had 7 kms on her. Today she has 278,000 kms. We have only replaced the alternator and the thermostat - that's it! This car is by far the best car we have ever owned. It took out a deer at 60km/h with a minor ripple in the hood and broken headlight. The gas mileage is incredible, we can easily go 700 kms on a tank of gas. The only recurring issue is something with the electrical. Last year we began blowing headlights every other day - the backyard mechanic we took it to rigged it so we only have headlights now, no highbeams - no biggie. When and if this one ever dies we will definitely be buying a Mazda again - more then likely a Mazda3.

Our is a barebone Protege, we only have A/C and power steering - favorite feature though would be the way it looks with only a few body mods (euro style taillights, big fat loud muffler and tint).

Paint quality is less then desired. The smallest rock will chip the hood and the slightest bump into anything will scar the bumpers horribly.

Great but expensive to upkeep!
By RetroDude

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love and hate this car. I like the fact that it gives pretty good gas mileage for being a 3-speed auto trans. I also like the design of the car, it's got lines and not too "rounded off" which made it unique in its class. What I hate about this car: noise level. You can practically hear almost anything even with the windows shut. The engine noise is almost unbearable especially when driving on the fwy, it tends to rev at an average of around 3,500 RPM/65MPH. Also, maintenance on the car isn't cheap. Parts for Mazdas are the highest compared others. To date, I've spent more than $3,700 just on routine maintenance - but with 125,000 miles, it still runs like brand new.

Console box w/ door under CD player, center console armrest, power accessories - and of course: air conditioning!

Add 'Lock' and 'Light' for glove compartment. Passenger side door needs lock/unlock switch, passenger visor needs vanity mirror. Rear disc brake instead of 'drums' would be a big plus!

2000 mazda
By Mike

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 4/2002. Replaced battery and brakes only (besides normal maint. items). At around 185000 I need to replace the fuel filter. Mazda builds great cars.

Very sporty 5 speed is fun to play with. Very comfortable on long trips over 500 miles. It still looks stylish!

Better fuel economy would be a great option.

Amazing little car!
By sexylondonboi

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our Mazda brand new off the lot. Our commute to work and back is nearly an hour each way and 9 mths out of the year is during the harsh canadian winter so we needed something that could stand up and be reliable. Our Mazda was nothing less then that. Being young drivers with our first car we weren't quite aware of "regular scheduled maintance" - we just drove. Our car currently has 256,000 kms on it and the only thing we have replaced was the alternator last year. This car is amazing, it's been in the ditch twice, hit a deer and yet the darn thing keeps on going. It is going in for its second tuneup of its lifetime this Thursday so we can get another 256000 from her

Still has a lot of "get up and go", even though it's 7 years old it still looks current. Love the dependability and the comfort in knowing that it will start everytime!

Center armrest! For those long drives we use a pillow inbetween the seats. We're also having the issue with the headlights. We no longer have "high beams", we were told it is a wiring issue within the dashboard and would be costly to fix.