Used 2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Very reliable, very average
By orniflect

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I own the stick shift model. 90% highway miles for its entire life (175k miles so far). Averaging 32-33 mpg for entire life. It's aging as expected - can definitely tell it's not immortal; little things breaking, but nothing big yet. Would you believe that I didn't have to replace the front disc rotors until over 90k miles on it? Pretty wild - I really wasn't 'stretching' into unsafe-ness. replacement rotors lasted "only" 60k miles. Clutch still tight, zero oil consumed, and I'm not particularly diligent with changes (avg ~5k miles). Other than the exhaust heat shield getting loose more than once - 2 or 3 welding jobs over time to stop the noise, no odd/out of place troubles.

Nimble little beast!

Pretty much same as everyone else's. My only regret in buying this car is dealing with the road noise - worst on the tollways which unfortunately is where 90% of all my hours have been spent. Good tires don't help - I tried. I will pay extra next time for a quieter car!!!!

Peppy engine and trans
By opher123

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from the dealer. It has a strong transmission as well as super handling on even wet pavement. The only thing i notice with this car are the belts which are very annoying and it's a common problem with this car.

Super handling the best ever made!

Poor belt adjustment design makes belts squeak loud when a/c is on. Had mechanic fix still a problem!

Red Raphaela the wonder car
By jolie

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Yes, the title is silly but that is actually my nickname for my 2000 Mazda Protege DX. She jumped out at me when I went to a Mazda dealership a couple of days after Christmas, 2000. Buying her was the smartest thing I ever did, transportation wise. She stayed looking like a new car for five years. Even now, she just has a scar on her back bumper and another tiny ding on the rear trunk. It's only because I have a habit of putting it in neutral at stop lights and twice someone bumped me when the light turned green (my foot wasn't on the brake to turn the brake lights on). In nine years, I have only had to replace belts and brake pads. Honest!

Styling. Good sound system for a lower end car. Excellent fuel economy. I swear I get 40MPG on the highway. Fantastic reliability.

This is the perfect, simple, no frills car. It won best subcompact of 2000 for a reason.

I loved this Mazda
By iheartmazda

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Protege for almost 9 years. I have had very few repairs over the year. Very reliable! It is sporty and fun to drive and easy to handle. I am only selling for another Mazda!

Reliability is great. Fun to handle.

I loved my car.
By zachisawesome

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 and kept it until this year when I unfortunately crashed it. It was a wonderfully reliable car in the 5 years I owned it. The battery failed once but I cleaned the alternator and it was back to charging just fine, and never failed again. Handled great except in rain, but that could have been tires and brakes getting old. Never had a problem with the CD player volume not working like some people have said. Interior and exterior was still holding up well. It only went into the shop once for regular maintenance though needed to go back for brakes and suspension. Definitely a much nicer car than my friend's civics and corollas, and just as reliable. I loved this car

Great sound from an economy sound system, good acceleration, and handling for its class, large trunk, comfy seats, reliability. Fun to drive, made me smile every time I drove it. I miss it already. Great safety I emerged from a 30 mph collision with an SUV also doing 30 mph untouched.

Loud road noise, though I grew to love it. better gas mileage, Overdrive button stopped working. Lights on the center console were starting to be finicky. Shocks were going at 120000 miles.