Used 2000 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Basic Transportation
By canada2015

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We purchased our Mazda protege off a classified site for $1100 Canadian. It was as is but only required two tires and rear shoes for safety. We've had our protege for just over a year now and it has required minimal repairs such as front stabilizer links serpentine belts (there are two, there small and they tend to break). The 1.6L with the 4 speed automatic is good on fuel both in the city and the highway. The car had 249 000kms on it and it now has 305 000. It handles well in the winter but ONLY if winter tires are equipped. Currently the car runs and drives but when the temperature drops below -5 C the thermostat sticks open and we don't get any heat. I'd recommend this car to anyone.
At 305 000 kms we decided to finally retire the protege. It still drove fine but required front struts, rear brake job and rear wheel cylinder (its leaking like crazy and required brake fluid every two weeks, both rear bearing had 1/2 inch of play, the steering rack leaked at each inner tie rod and every single speaker was blown, and there were two holes in the frame due to the rough winters. but it just kept on going!

Love my protege
By jeannesmyname

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Protege, it was very reliable, comfy, and fun to drive.
I put 150K on it. It also got excellent gas mileage.
It will not play burned cd's and had a year where I had to have the belt replaced a few times, since then it's been running like a top.
Just traded it in today for a newer car, but was sad to see it go.
I really hope it goes to a great home!

love everything about this car.

only thing they could do to make it better would be to have abs breaks.

LotsaMiles
By tedg

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car since it was new 11 years ago - it replaced another just like it that died on us, and it now has 224,500 miles on it. Though we are looking for a new vehicle, we plan to keep this one as a second vehicle for use locally. I was amazed that you give mpg as 25 - 27; we've never gotten less than 32, usually more, up to 38! Perhaps part of that is my exclusive use of Mobil 1 oil; with the vagaries of gas pump shut-offs, regardless, I feel 34-35 mpg is what we have (and continue to get) for mileage. Driving it's been a pleasure, though it's showing signs of age - noisiness, mostly.

Snappy acceleration and good steering control; handles well on slick, snowy roads as well as dry pavement.

Make a hybrid version.

Sad to let her go
By soosa

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I keep vehicles a very long time. This 2000 Protege DX was purchased used in 2002 and has been a reliable ride ever since. I mount 4 snow tires every winter and hold my own with the mid- size SUVs in Colorado winters. As an older woman taking solo road trips, I've laid the seats down in this hatchback sedan to sleep in the "capsule" when the tent was blowing away. I would never buy a car I couldn't sleep in! Don't know why I get an incredible 38-42 mpg, but I do. At 155,000 miles I replaced the clutch as the manual transmission took a beating on 1-70's slow crawls up into the mountains winter & summer. I'd keep her until 300,000 if I didn't have to go to an automatic for health reasons.

Aint she cute? and Sporty too!
By Betty

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car about 1 1/2 yrs ago w/73k miles on it, little 'ol lady owned it, now has about 107k. Figured we'd get good mpg since it's small, about 28 avg. right now, better than 17 we replaced it with! Really wanted a manual transmission, that would have really made it even more fun to drive, and probably better mpg. Put synthetic oil in at about 80k miles after lots of research and believe that made a difference. We all enjoy the drive (ages 19-50), handles real good, tires can make BIG difference though! Four bangers seem to be a little noisy but after we replaced bearings due to accident it made quite a difference! Picks up & go's pretty good and overall Nice car!

The sporty look with the spoiler and rims, that apparently came stock. Roomy trunk, electronic windows and doors, good sound system. Comfortable seating even the back seat, unless you put 3 adults :o)

Front passenger control to lock doors and roll up/down all windows. Extra sun visors so to have one in front and one on side, we had that in a different car. Fog lights. I would have liked my car to have a sun roof (it was an option when new, I believe)