Used 1996 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

13 years and still running strong
By petedaddy

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new. Current daily commute of 50 miles RT and mileage of 118K. Never garaged and live in Northeast so rust of exhaust system was a problem. Replaced exhaust pipes, then muffler over last two years. Underpowered, but very economical, still average 35+ MPG. Overall this has been an unbelievable good car.

Fuel economy and reliability. True cost to own the lowest I have ever seen!!! Great basic car.

Lack of power, but it's a tradeoff for great mileage. Seats uncomfortable for long trips.

Most reliable car I've owned
By MazdaLover

1996 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Protege in 2003 with 89,000 miles on it. I junked it in 2006 with almost 200,000 on it. I never had it in the repair shop once while I owned it (except for oil changes) and it never stalled on me or failed to start. When I dropped this car off in the junkyard I was almost in tears. The motor was in PERFECT condition, never ate oil or even sputtered, I didn't have to drop a dime into the engine on it. The only reason I had to get rid of it is because I drove it so hard the doors were literally falling off of it (string held them closed). I can not stress enough how much I loved this car. I drove it through hell and back- albeit pretty slowly-the car is underpowered-and it never quit.

Gas mileage (over 30 mpg). Reliability--never stalled or failed to start.

little more power in the engine---other than that the car is PERFECT!

Great little car
By Colorado

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 62000 miles from someone that had several accidents and didn't take care of it. After a new door, seat and a little work I have put more than 40,000 miles on it. It is a fun car to drive and costs nothing to keep it going.

Gas mileage, I get 32 city and 37 hwy.

None.

Excellent Car
By Moe

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

My Dad bought this car brand new and crashed it the same year - body damage only. He gave it to me in 2006 with 84k miles on. Runs excellent. Top marks for fuel efficiency. Nimble handling for a basic car. Tires hug the roads. Very roomy compared to the competition, about the same as my '94 Accord. Shifts very well. Get the five speed to the get the most out of the engine's power and economy. All in all, it is a great first car or a commuter car.

Rather elegant design for its class. Very roomy. Excellent gas mileage. Nice and simple interior layout.

Slightly stronger build. More standard features.

Mazda Protege Great Car
By JsyJack

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Great car, no major problems in the 10 years we've owned it. Would gladly buy another.

Overall economy & above average reliability.

Enhance the air conditioning.