Used 1996 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

ES Protege
By PatrickDT

1996 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

What i like about this car is the sunroof and all the power options.On really bad freeways the car is really bumpy i think it might be the struts or a motor mount i don't know but it really bad over 45 MPH. But for around 1,500-2,000 dollars these are a reliable small little car with Fair MPG and easy to work on.

Sunroof, power options, Cloth Seats.

Suspension (struts,Shocks Etc..)Less rust around wheel wells.

First Car
By daniel

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Overall this car is fantastic. I got it for my 18th birthday and I'm in love with it. The engine is a little underpowered but the manual helps hide it. I just learned how to drive stick shift with this car because it is so easy. The DX trim lacks basic comforts like power anything or cruise control but the car is very easy to work on. The 1.5 liter engine makes incredible gas mileage, I went 80 miles on a little less than a 1/4 tank. Its great for a starter car or student can go forever with proper maintenance.

fuel economy, comfort and simplicity

more basic features

my protege
By Jannet Bahraini

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November 1995and have been driving it ever since. it is in a good shape. looks like a brand new car and I love to drive it. never had any problem and I 'll recommend Mazda to every friend and family member and to you too!!!

thw shape of car is nice. simple and chic!!

I wish the color of interior and exterior would be the same or using a better material for the interior not to faded after a while.

Great car!!!!
By Protege Gal

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I had my 1996 Mazda Protege DX for 8 years and have Loved it! I did put some money into maintenance over the years...but nothing compared to how little I paid for it. It lacked a little on it's get up and go but It was 100% reliable. Never had to worry about getting where I needed to go. I just bought a new car...and was actually sad to have to leave my protege. I would definitely recommend this as a first time car or as a little zip around town car!!!

96 Protege DX Great Commuter!
By Sarah

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

If you want a very dependable car, this is it! The DX model doesn't have all the bells and whistles, kinda a pain without power windows or locks. The giddy-up is slower in high traffic, but responds when needed. The interior space is limiting on long trips, but those inconveniences are minor disabilities. The overall economy is awesome (38-42mpg). You can't go work with this car - I travel 200 miles daily and have had to to little with this car. Routine maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc). I drove 1100 miles this past weekend and couldn't be happier with the car - super hot and muggy outside and the car was perfect! I'd go anywhere with this car. 98K miles and going very strong

The obvious favorite feature is the fuel economy. With the price of gas going crazy, I laugh when I fill up the tank for $25. This car always starts and runs quietly every trip.

A little more comfort in the seat and interior leg room space could be better. On long trips, you need to stretch out. I'd pay for more comfort.