Used 1996 Mazda MX-6 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-6 model:

Would Buy Again in a Heartbeat
By Lainey

1996 Mazda MX-6 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This was my everyday ride for 15 years. Purchased it in 2001 with 55K miles on it. Final odometer reading: 247,809. Coming out of an '85 Celica hatchback, I felt right at home in it from the get-go. My motorhead brother was skeptical when I bought it because it shared design features of the Probe...and how long since anyone's seen one of those on the road? But the engine was all Mazda. Bro has frequently expressed amazement that my MX-6 has had such a great run. An unfortunate encounter on the interstate with an 18-wheeler has left the car in ruins, but amazingly, I walked away without a scratch! (Thankfully, no one else was hurt either.) This car has been one tough little cookie. The original clutch lasted until 2011. The aftermarket ones stank and had been replaced 3 times. Distributer was replaced twice. Timing belt and major hoses replaced in 2012. Axles replaced this spring. Tires were getting hard to find, as few manufacturers make 14" ones anymore. The engine light came on after foolishly driving through some floodwater, and stayed mostly on for the last 3 years (probably oxygen sensors). Only time it would ever go off was when I took it to the mechanic. Go figure. I finally put a piece of duct tape over the light to spare myself the annoyance of looking at it. The cylinder compression was getting weak toward the end of its life. Other than those things, I can't think of any major mechanical issues. It never leaked a drop of oil. This car is such fun to drive. With decent tires, I never got stranded in snow. And to be so small, you could pack an amazing amount of camping gear into it! My biggest complaints are cabin noise and constant danger of cracking one's skull on the trunk latch when loading or unloading the trunk. If I had $$ to put into a "toy," I'd go in search of another one today! Sure gonna miss my little friend.

Saved lives... Best car ever!
By tafntaf

1996 Mazda MX-6 Coupe M-Edition 2dr Coupe

Words can't describe how thankful I am for this car. Unfortunately the car just got totaled, but saved lives. Everyone walked out without a scratch, it's a miricle. The safety for this car is unbelievably amazing, super fun to drive too and will truly be missed. Amazing car all around and would recommend to anybody. The body is so tough, it's a life saver.

I Miss My MX-6
By StephRocks

1996 Mazda MX-6 Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This was my all time favorite vehicle! Got 330,000 miles out of her before I sold her to a young man rebuilding another MX-6. All she needed was a clutch.

Unique body style - an absolute blast to drive

can't think of a thing - wish they would build another one

Can;t find anything comparable
By happy yes

1996 Mazda MX-6 Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Car has 91,000 mi. & I hate to part with it.Still an eye catcher and runs great. Except for necessary maintenance have had few problems. Still as happy with it after 13 yrs. except for fuel economy. Why can't they build something that looks and behaves like this? I'm waiting!

beautiful lines, fast on takeoff and steady ride

back seat leg room and too small trunk

My Mx6
By BShark

1996 Mazda MX-6 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is incredibly fun to drive, and is easy to do modifications to. My first car ever and will always be loved. Things start to go as the car ages, however, so reliability is not the best, however nothing too serious. The fun experienced by simply driving this machine makes up for any problems though. It's a great car for the young and old driving enthusiast, and especially for those into upgrading/modifying vehicles.

The spirited performance, the comfort of the leather interior, the compliments the car brings to the owner of the vehicle.

Rear calipers tend to seize up, O2 sensors conk out, water leaks into the trunk, valve cover gaskets wear out. These are common problems to look out for. A passenger side cup holder would be nice. The 1996 is the only model year with 4 oxygen sensors, which is a hassle to replace (expensive).