Used 2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Small but Great
By Miata Mike

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

For the car's size, the trunk is quite spacious. Gas mileage is better than I had with a year 2000 Miata. It feels like a bigger car when driving and handles very well in wind and rain. For the number of speakers it has, the radio/cd sound could still be better.

Love this car
By Rick

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great car I've owned a 91 Mazda miata before. I like this one better it's a second car for me. I also have another vehicle I alternate with. I live near the beach so definitely going to work in the morning it's a pleasure with the top down as the Sun's coming up. doesn't get me better. I almost bought a 2017 Mustang convertible great car looks very nice but it just doesn't have that British sports car feel.

My 3d Miata
By tristin

I just love Miata.

But I had to do a lot of modifications to the 2012 to make it right.

The Stereo is horrible. Is it even stereo?

The sun visors dont rotate, and are made of cheap plastic.
I guess nobody in Japan drives south in the morning or north in the evening, because if they did, they would soon tire of driving with your hand up by your ear to block the sun!
And there is a huge area in the corner of the window that isnt blocked by the visor.

There are not USB ports!

Lastly, the horn! How could they mis-design the horn switch??
It's this tiny little area in the middle of the steering wheel.

That said, I couldnt help but get another Miata.

blue tooth is great keyless entry is fabulous driving is a dream (though a bit noisy)

1) dump Bose. Get surround sound stereo. 2) bring back the 2001 style sun visors 3) At least 2 USB ports should be available, one of which is on the dash. 4) the 2012 cup holders on the door are a waste of interior real estate. Make them to fit a full size travel mug. 5) bring back the center console between the seats storeage area. The ones on the back wall of the 2011/2012 are next to useless. 6) move the trunk release forward, so that it is useable without crawling on the ground to find it. 7) expand the horn switch to the size of previous models. 8) move the gas cap release switch out of the storeage area. 9) make the door side storeage areas of useful size.

A mind-blowing sports car to drive!
By nawaaz

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Through my brief history of owning an array of sports cars, this Miata is the least expensive car I've bought, yet it is simply the best out of them all... It may seem hard to believe, but I WILL NOT lie to you.
I've owned a '06 Evo IX MR, '09 e90 M3 Sedan, '10 RX-8 R3... and this MX-5 Miata beats them all.
I've matured into a smarter and more expererienced driver, expecially after attending several HPDE events... And this particular car is the pinnacle of pure sports cars.
It has all the driving enjoyment you could ever want or need.
Having the option of going top-down is an exciting bonus. This car really connects with the driver and becomes in harmony with one another.

Suspension pkg w/LSD, bilstein shock absorbers and sport tuned suspension is a MUST HAVE, IMHO. Do not go without it, because it really transforms the feel of the car to another level! I love the soft top and its simplicity & purity compared to the PRHT. The engine noise sounds so intoxicating even though the engine's nothing exotic. Homelink garage opener is very helpful. Everything is so simple about the car and that's what I love about it. The 6 speed manual is precise and I like the feel of it. Love the high-revving 7200 rpm engine, very responsive.

Shifting's a bit notchy when weather is cold, but I suppose that's normal from my experience. Car's stance could be slightly lower. Seats could be more aggressive and supportive. Xenon lights could be standard on the Touring version, but I love the purity of halogen lights. Radio could have better sound quality, although I'm not picky about it. Paint chips easily on front bumper, but I guess that's hard to control because of rocks & debris. True Red paint reveals swirl marks a bit, but that exterior color is incredible.

Convertible heaven without convenience
By oldish

I bought this car this spring & have had the summer to drive it.
I just love the way it drives and riding with the top down.
Despite that, I probably won't buy another.
The interior is very badly designed.
The drink holders are directly in the line that your arm must move to shift, and so are unuseable unless you want to risk dumping coffee all over the interior.
The door pocket holders will hold nothing but a plastic water bottle.
The interior material stains easily and may not come clean.
The carpet is very cheezy.
I live in a rural area and limit how far I take it from home due to the lack of a spare tire.
There is no way that I'd find a replacement tire in rural Michigan.

Handling. Driving with the top down. The audio system.

Revise: - the interior materials to resist stains from sunscreen and other things. - the sun visor to provide some type of shade on the driver's door window. - increase leg room on the passenger side (very little). - the body fit and gaskets so that water does not continue to drip out of the mirrors, tail lights and doors long after the car is dry and put away. - provide a spare tire. - provide cup holders that are actually useable. - improve the quality of carpet that is used. - provide a means to shift the passenger seat around, if only to facilitate vacuuming the car out.