Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

A fun car for people who like to drive
By Drino

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car was designed for people who love to drive. It has a firm suspension and perfect balance. No body roll, and very direct steering. This thing corners like it's on rails and stops fast. More trunk space than other convertibles. Trunk space isn't taken up when the top is down - it goes into a separate pocket. Can put the soft top up or down with one hand from the drivers seat. No luxuries in the cabin - it's a sports car. If it hasn't got it, you don't need it. Excellent build quality.

Trunk space - more than you think. Easy soft top operation. Paddle shifters on steering wheel. Responsive, sports car feel and performance. Reliable, and gets good mileage (although with a small tank, you fill up more). The MX 5 is pure driving fun! Just try not smiling when you drive it.

Factory stereo is poor (replaced immediately). Radio reception poor (listen to iPod instead). Seats can cause some hip discomfort on long trips.

Fun but noisy
By David

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is definitely one of the funnest cars I have ever had. With that said it is also the noisiest car I have ever owned. Lots of wind noise when the top is up and the more you drive it the more it seems to develop new rattles. (mainly in the dash) Anyone approaching six feet tall will not be comfortable in this car! Fun yes....would I buy this car again. No!

The retractable hard top is awesome. Bose sound system is great and love the leather interior with heated seats.

Dash is only attached with four clips that allows for rattling not to mention the other rattles that seem to develop in the dash board.

A Miata that's car-like
By Yasu

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I like that the new gen is just a better car, meaning it's possible to go on long road trips in relative comfort. It makes every moment a driver's delight, the destination irrelevant. The cabin is intimate, shaped so that the car, me, and my companion are one. Unless we're fighting. The higher rear sill contributes to this, and blocks the feeling that the car behind you is going to drive into your skull. Other cars treat you with relative respect, vs. the older gen. Slides are very controllable, yet cruises in a variety of gears easily. You can race it, you can commute it, you can distance it. You can also supercharge it but that's a different story.

Horse and rider as one, baby.

More varied exhaust noise, serious induction noise under hard accelerations. In other words, quieter while cruising, more interesting sounds when caning it.

World's best car EVER made
By Lidia

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I needed something that would take me 40 miles to school and back 3 times out of the week. I fill up once a week. Gas is amazing! The driving never gets old or tire some. I love all four cup holders I can put stuff everywhere. I has a bigger trunk space than you would think. Its also very roomy on the inside... let's just say my 90 pound lab can fit in it I'm sure anyone can. The car speeds up quickly when shifting. Zoom zoom this is the perfect car ever made

Cup holders, the out look of the car, lots of room (for a 2 seater)

Maybe invent an pop up spare tire so it can be easier to carry around in the trunk with out losing half of it.

Wonderful Car!
By Roger

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned nothing but Miatas since 1989, and this is my fourth. My last one was a 2004 Mazdaspeed which was a great car, but this one is even better. The driving dynamics are just sensational with a ride quality that is exceptionally smooth combined with excellent handling. In fact much to my surprise I don't even wish for more horsepower, because the power feels just right for the car. I've always had a preference for red Miatas, but this time I got the marble white with the brown top and tan interior, and it's just a beautiful car which could easily be mistaken for a $100,000 Jaguar. I have now driven over 400,000 in my 4 Miatas and have never gotten stuck. Thank you Mazda!

Beautiful car, wonderful driving dynamics and just a joy to drive, very nice and classy interior, Bose stereo has excellent clarity and sound quality, keyless entry and ignition is really cool as are the heated seats.

Bose stereo has excellent sound quality but at times there are tracks which could use a little more volume which was never the case with the Bose on my 2004 Mazdaspeed.