Used 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Long Distance Driving in a Miata MX-5
By spencer08

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying my 2008 Sport Hardtop 5-speed, my main concerns were riding comfort and gas mileage. After experiencing my first long trip (5905 mi), both concerns are gone! Ride is firm, but comfortable, with exception of older concrete surfaces that can produce fairly harsh jitters. Driver seat is very supportive, especially the back. Overall ride is very good, not great, and very quiet for a convertible. If you're not a lead foot, you can get very good gas mileage. I've gotten 32.5 mpg in/around town, and 35.6 mpg total over the long trip above (as high as almost 42 mpg in slower mountain driving, and low of 33 mpg at sustained highway speeds of 70/75 mph. (All mileages calculated.)

Retractable hardtop is absolutely great! Up or down in 12 secs, with more headroom and quieter than the soft top. Handling is exceptional, and ride much better than expected for a sports car. And if you stomp on it, the MX-5 delivers as much performance as you'll ever need in sane driving.

The base radio/sound system delivers very modest performance, and can be rather confusing/frustrating to use.

Near Perfection
By joeschmoe

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my first true sports car and have to say it's a blast to drive. Besides a small lack in power it's the perfect sports car. The stock handling and braking are superb. Fuel economy is excellent. Short gear ratios make for spirited acceleration when up to speed. Minor modifications are all that are needed to turn this thing into a track car. I took a 3k mile road trip and was still smiling when I got home. Those over 6' will have a hard time getting comfortable in this car.

A 12 second folding hardtop! Kudos to Mazda for engineering one very slick top. Good sized and shape of trunk. Basic maintenance is easy to do yourself. The shifter is buttery smooth and precise compared to other manual cars I've driven.

Although one doesn't need massive horsepower to have fun in this car, it would be nice to have say...20-30 more hp and torque. Also, please make 6th gear taller for highway cruising. Lose the ridiculous joker face on the '09s

Loving My Miata
By sodiscool

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I absolutely love my triple black Miata. After 2.5 months I still look for reasons to drive it. I was nervous about the suspension package but it handles amazingly and is still very smooth and controlled over bumps. Top operation is really fast. Cruises at 90 on the highway all day long. I am 5'11 and I fit just fine. This is a car for people that really love to drive. Take one for a test drive, you'll take it home.

Easy top operation, good sound system, short shifter, handling, 28 mpg

I wish I had an aux jack, one piece of the top buzzes on the highway, sun visors are pretty worthless

Happy George
By Happy George

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My first Miata was a 2000, 5 speed manual which for some reason I don't recall I sold in 2003. I always regretted doing that. I never thought I'd like an automatic transmission in a Miata. All I can say is try one of these 6 speed automatics before you decide. I love it. The performance, steering and brakes are great. It's quite comfortable on smooth roads but a bit less so, as expected, on poor surfaces. I like the grill and front view of the 2008 model better than the 2009.

The single latch top is a great improvement. The fun to drive factor was high when I bought the car and has increased as I get comfortable with it.

This car has a larger trunk than my 2000 Miata but the 2000 had a spare tire. I'd rather have a smaller trunk and a spare tire. Just to nit-pick, I hate the "half pound" folding key. It is way too bulky.

A Motorcycle with doors.
By John

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Excellent handling as it corners better than anything I have driven. Good acceleration, great mileage/design, and fun to drive! Insuring this sports car is an unexpected bargain! What more could you ask for?

The six speed manual transmission starts shifting very smooth after a couple thousand miles. Bose stereo is nice quality and the door speakers seem very robust. Ease of the drop top is nothing short of incredible. After a little practice...3 seconds down, and 5 seconds up...from the drivers seat.

I took my Grand Touring to a great seat shop in my area and they added two inches of hard foam to both seats as they were too low for me and provided no lower back support. They work great now! Had the same problem with a 2000 Ford F150 XLT! Seats should be designed to support the lower back!