Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

4 months of ownership
By Wink

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had the car for about 4 months now. It is a solid built car. When I hit a bump I may feel it but the car doesn't rattle or make any unpleasant sounds you might hear in a cheaply built car. The top is a snap to put down and back up again without getting out of the driver's seat. It handles like a dream, very responsive. What I don't like is a couple of things. One, the cup holders in the door are in the way. When I raise my left leg up my knee rests against the cup holder and it's uncomfortable. Second, I can't find a comfortable position with the seat. I have to have the seat back as far as it will go to keep my right leg from being uncomfortable. Then I am sittin straight up.

The firm handling and the sound of the exhaust pipes as I go through the gears are a thrill. The acceleration is fantastic. Just push down on the gas when driving 70 and I can feel it push me back into the seat. I like being able to put the top up or down with ease while sitting at traffc light.

Remove the cup holder in the door. Make Sirius radio afordable for the factory radio. After buying the car it costs around $700 to put the Sirius converter in the car. Move the gas pedal more toward the engine. It feels like the gas pedal is much closer to me than the clutch or brake.

Most fun for your money by far.
By Lee

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The MX5 is all about the driving experience. Hugging the curves, wind in your hair (if you have any), hearing the exhaust - it's all part of the enjoyment the Miata gives. Sure, it's a little small, but that's the main reason it's so fun. Under 2500lbs of auto makes going, stopping and turning quickly much easier. The engineers of this car nailed the '06+ design, as they have for the previous 2 generations. I use mine as a daily driver, and in the winter I just throw on some snow tires and go. It's 50/50 weight balance handles it great. If you're thinking of getting a Miata, go try one out. You'll be hooked.

Driving FUN! Drop top, short throw shifter, over .9G's of cornering grip. 6.5 seconds to 60, all while averaging 27mpg of mainly city driving. How can you beat that?

I'd like the dash to be a little higher quality looking, and a stereo with some decent power. And the seats from the 2005 model would be nice. Otherwise it's perfect - I wouldn't change anything else.

I'm addicted to this car.
By MarkInKC

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought new, last year's model. It's the car I've always wanted. I drive it hard; I can't help it. I like the acceleration and the cornering (I read it corners at 9.1Gs). On a day when the temperature is in the 70s, with the top down, it feels *unbelievably* good.

Amazing handling. Can change lanes at 65mph in about 1 second. Seriously. No body roll. Weight distribution is 50/50. Super-easy convertible vinyl top goes down or up in a few seconds. Acceleration is good, but doesn't feel like 170hp in a super-light car.

It feels like it has a little less than 170 horsepower, considering it's so light, but I can't afford anything faster. Top rubs on rollbar if seat all the way back. Will *not* go in snow due to fat tires and light weight. Black interior gets hot.

Significantly better than my '91
By warrendt

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is a fantastically fun car to drive. The power in the '06 is felt immediately upon pressing down on the accelerator. I took it to about 10 autocross events and it performed very well on the OEM street tires. The six speed transmission, however, required frequent shifting between second and third on faster courses. This is not a problem on the road as you can easily skip a gear without notice.

The convertible top lowers and raises with one hand from the driver's seat without having to turn around. Handling is superb.

The cup holders on the door are uncomfortable on your knee during aggressive cornering.

Great fun car!
By Red Fanatic

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I owned a '93 Miata for 6 years before getting the '06. Bought from a dealer on eBay. This is a terrific car, fun to drive, and is my daily driver. Top seals well and keeps me dry in inclement weather. It's got great power/weight ratio and the 6-speed box is great.

Seats, top design, engine power, 50-50 weight balance, it's just a great package altogether.

I have trouble from time to time with the top bunching up when I put it down quickly. Drags on one of the ribs. Dealer has not been helpful with getting that fixed. Overall a pretty minor annoyance.