Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

By Alex

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is an update from "Be careful what you wish for" below. Mainly I write this Followup to praise the Continental Extreme Contact tires and the positive change they have wrought. I went from the OE Michelin run-flats to a slight wider (215 vs. 205) tire but kept the 45 series aspect ratio. In effect I made the tires a few millimeters taller and a bit wider. But the switch from run- flats has been amazing. The car has a much more comfy ride, with little in absolute performance loss. Light snow traction is great now, important here in CT. I did about 19k last year (33k total) and no mechanical problems. So thumbs up there. Everyone loves the car still, especially my wife.

Same as when I bought it. See below.

Second gear is still grumpy when cold. Switched to Redline gear oil, but still hard to engage 2nd when cold. Has been since new. Gearing is still really high, particularly in 6th when highway cruising, which I do often.

Petite Car for a Petite Girl
By Girl

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I rarely write reviews but I felt compelled to as I am truly in love with my car. I generally have short term relationships with cars but this one is a true keeper. People often compliment how well this car fits me. It can really handle corners at high speeds, I no longer have to step on my brakes like my fellow drivers. The top is easy to unlock and lock. This car is practical and fun!

The BEST BEST BEST feature of all is the smart card, it changed my life. I haven't had to look for my keys in 3 years.

A little more leg space. My friends who are 6'2" and above can barely fit in.

Believe what you hear...it's fun
By bh76

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

One word: FUN. Everyone says it but it's true. Bought used with 29K miles and after 10K more miles I can say that I've had zero problems. I drove it from VA to Maine with a passenger & luggage and loved every mile. Using the top takes mere seconds. Fun & practical daily driver too w/ excellent turning radius & good ride quality. Lots of little cubbies for smaller things. Maintenance: cheap so far. Of course with most any small roadster you'll run into storage issues. For example, I can't fit my golf bag in the trunk without removing the longer clubs. Performance: Nothing earth-shattering - just FUN. Its relatively diminuitive size and mass make it very maneuverable and acceleration is brisk.

Fun rear wheel drive, quick manual top, quick and responsive handling, smooth- shifting 5-speed manual trans.

I wish 5th gear was taller; RPMs are a little hyper at hwy speeds. If I had researched a little more I'd have bought one with limited-slip differential b/c of the rear inside tire slipping under acceleration out of corners; an aftermarket LSD is available though.

Better Than I Expected
By dan_k

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

After 3 years of driving the MX5 I'm impressed with nearly everything about the car. Although I only give it a 7 for comfort, it is very good for this size sports car. I thought a 2 hour drive would be all I could take when we first purchased the car. This fall my wife and I completed a 4 day trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway and my back and seat were no worse for the wear. However, I had just put on new Bridgestones, which out performed the stock Michelins in every way. This car is all about fun. It is a car for those who love to drive. Driving the MX5 is like operating a point and shoot camera. The car just goes wherever you point without any fuss and looks great while doing it.

The car has style inside and out. Its performance on hilly curvy roads is tremendous and gives the driver plenty of confidence.

A little less plastic in the interior would give it a more upscale look and a homelink option would've been nice.

Love it!
By Marie

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased this sportscar two days ago and I love it. I owned an old 1600 Honda roadstar in college and it's great to be back in one again. I love it and hope to continue driving it for the next 5-10 years. I'm a young and very attractive professional and I don't know too much about sportscars, but I've have received numerous compliments on the street and on the highway in this car and the ride with the top down is fantastic! I live in southern california the highway commute is a blast! I wish someone had told me about Miata years ago!

The design is great. The color is cool and the stereo is great! I really like to mag wheel package as well. It handles well and it's fast.

No suggestions. Just keep it affordable! It a great little sports car for the money, especially in this sagging economy!