Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

two for the road
By Bill West

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is the 3rd Miata we've owned & the best. We've had all 3 body types from pop-up headlights to this current model. We traded a '03 Cobra in for this car and though I miss the full power of the Cobra, I really haven't looked back. A little bigger inside for the legs & plenty of extra storage.The interior is nicely laid out, easy to reach just about anything yet gives me room to myself. Plenty of get up and go. We opted for the automatic this time with paddle shifters, this is more fun than a just about anything you could drive. Zoom-Zoom.

The automatic with paddle shifters is amazing, power in the go factor in this vehicle is just awesome. The stereo sounds just like I had in bigger cars, plenty of space, truck handles all I need. MPG so far has always hit 24 miles per, & I drive fast and hard, it's go from the light at green.

Gee I just can't think of anything to change or add, it might lose something in the mix. Keep it this way.

A bargain
By Aelfric

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

The best car I've ever owned, it has awesome handling, great acceleration and brakes, is super FUN to drive. I prefer the manual top - simpler, less expense, less to break, and actually very quick and easy to raise and lower. Beautiful all around. My only complaint is that it's a little too snug inside - I'm over 6' tall and I can't stretch out my legs. I have to move the seat slightly forward to recline the seatback at all. I have to force my butt all the way back to the seat back to avoid back pain. But unlike previous generations, I can now tilt adjust the steering wheel so my knees don't jam against it. Perfect for someone shorter who likes to drive. The best buy convertible by far.

6-speed tranny, falls perfectly to hand and is a joy to shift with just a flick of the wrist. Surprisingly quick - revs immediately as high as you want to go. The drop top, of course.

Stereo speakers behind or between the seats, or in windblocker? And a standard size stereo face so I could put in an aftermarket unit would be nice. Just a little more legroom, please. Perhaps raise the seat slightly? There's plenty of headroom even with top up. And put the name 'Miata' back on!

more fun for the money
By paprika

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my MX5 for 6 months now, and I am in love with it! The new body style is definitely eye catching.It performs great and corners fantastic. I must admit though I did expect better gas mileage with the a/c on, but it more than makes up for that in the fun category.

Zoom-zoom.

Better gas mileage, less interior noise, top latch rattles intermittently.

why did I wait so long?
By rick s

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned pick-up trucks for the past 20+ years, but have had my eye on one since the redesign. I bought it three weeks ago, and have spent the better part of the past three weekends driving around Arizona. Drove it up Oak Creek Canyon in Sedona the first weekend, and had so much fun, drove back down and up again. Absolutely, the most fun I have ever had driving. Added satellite radio, and now I don't want to get out of it. Averaged 38.9 mpg last weekend around Flagstaff (the altitude?) Do yourself a favor, and buy one before the world runs out of oil. Thanks, Edmunds.

Easy-to-operate top; incredible handling; good acceleration; ergonomic interior layout; very comfortable seats (though it's an exercise to get my 6 foot, 245 pound frame in and out); great exterior design.

Teach whoever writes the diagrams for Mazda accessories how to count. Bought a mask. Directions say to remove front four fasteners inside each wheel well. Spent 30 minutes and bent two clips before I looked at the diagram, which showed five fasteners had to be removed. Cost $6.75 to replace them.

LOVE this car
By Karen

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda MX5. My husband bought it for my 40th Birthday. My husband is 6'6 and it is the only convertible on the market that he can actually drive and ride in. We bought an automatic with the manual shifting paddles on the steering wheel. He loves that and I love the automatic. The top is so easy to put up and down you can do it while sitting in the car. The trunk is HUGE, unlike most convertibles. The Mazda is so fun to drive, the wheels really stick when going around corners. While going 80mph the RPM's barely hit 3000. While driving the inside is quiet no wind noise or rattles. We love our Mazda MX5!

Top is easy to put down and up. Trunk is big. Love the way it looks. Sharp!